Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus briefs

Aufderheide to appear at Sundance

Pat Aufderheide, director of the School of Communication's Center for Social Media, will appear at the Sundance Film Festival.

Aufderheide will sign copies of her book, "Documentary Film: A Very Short Introduction," Jan. 19 at Dolly's Book Store on Main Street in Park City, Utah, a street located in the heart of the festival.

Aufderheide said she is excited to have the event occur during the festival.

"Sundance is the most important showplace and marketplace for documentary films every year," Aufderheide said. "It's an honor and privilege. Also, many of my friends will be there."

Aufderheide's book discusses the debate among filmmakers and scholars about the best ways to represent reality in documentary film, according to a press release from the Center for Social Media.

-RACHEL TRAINER

Libel lawsuit against American magazine dismissed

A New York judge dismissed two alumni's lawsuit against American magazine Jan. 3, citing lack of jurisdiction in a New York court.

As of press time yesterday, the plaintiffs had not taken any further action, according to Maralee Csellar, director of AU's media relations.

The plaintiffs, Ross Weil, a 2002 graduate from the Kogod School of Business, and Brett Royce, a 2001 graduate from the School of International Service, were suing the university for $1.5 million for defamation of character, The Eagle previously reported.

In the fall 2007 issue of American, AU's alumni magazine, an item in the alumni notes section claimed the men were married to each other and that Weil was the leader of the Gay Rights Brigade. The men said they are not married and are not members of the organization, which does not actually exist, The Eagle previously reported.

In its winter 2008 issue, American magazine printed a retraction of the statement.

Michael Kaufman, the attorney who represented Royce and Weil in the lawsuit, had no comment in response to questions about the case.

-RACHEL TRAINER