Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Jan. 24

Table Talk Lunch Series Noon WHERE: Lounge, Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: Harry Jaffe, a writer for Washingtonian magazine, and Calvin Woodland, a staff member in D.C. Councilmember Jim Graham's office, will hold a discussion on "Race and Politics: The Case of the District of Columbia." Lunch will be provided for students, and a $5 donation is suggested for faculty and staff. The Office of the University Chaplain, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and the Office of Campus Life are sponsoring this event. CONTACT: For more information and to R.S.V.P., call Christine Gettings at 202-885-3321.

Friday, Jan. 25

Free Shabbat 6-8 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center and McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: Reform, Conservative and Orthodox services will be held in Kay, followed by a free dinner in the McDowell Formal Lounge. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail shabbatchairs0708@gmail.com.

Saturday, Jan. 26

The Eagle General Interest Meeting 1 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: Come find out more information about becoming a writer for AU's only student-run newspaper, The Eagle. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Jimm Phillips at news@theeagleonline.com

Phil Bender 2 p.m. WHERE: Bender Arena INFO: AU's basketball team will compete against College of the Holy Cross. There will be free Guapo's food, Robeks smoothies and Eagles rally towels. There will also be a raffle to win an iPod and a new Pontiac G5. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail president@ausg.org.

Sunday, Jan. 27

Dime a Dozen Auditions Noon-4 p.m. WHERE: TBA INFO: AU's only co-ed a cappella group, Dime a Dozen, will be holding auditions for male voices. Prepare a verse and a chorus from the song of your choice. CONTACT: For more information and to reserve a time, e-mail dimebusinessmanager@gmail.com.

Women's Initiative General Meeting 8 p.m. WHERE: MGC 200 INFO: Join Women's Initiative in planning events like Take Back the Night, Sexual Responsibility Week and Women's History Month. Also, share ideas that you may have for the upcoming semester. Cookies will be provided for everyone who attends. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail wi@ausg.org.

Monday, Jan. 28

First Meeting of the Middle Eastern Dance Group 9:30 p.m. WHERE: First floor dance room, Katzen Arts Center INFO: Join the Middle Eastern Dance Group, which is part of the cultural wing of the Council on Middle East Studies. The group will meet once a week and welcomes both beginning and advanced dancers. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail ea4933a@american.edu.

Tuesday, Jan. 29

"I Want to do Something International" 2:30-4:30 p.m. WHERE: MGC 200 INFO: This will be an interactive session for those students pursuing a degree in international studies and feel overwhelmed by career options. It seeks to answer questions that students may have about the broad field of international studies. R.S.V.P. is required on AU's Career Center Web site. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-885-1800.

Cherokee Alternative Spring Break Info Session 9-10 p.m. WHERE: Lounge, Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: The United Methodist Student Association is planning an affordable alternative spring break to the Cherokee Nation for this coming March. There will be an informational meeting to find out more about the break. CONTACT: For more information, visit www.aumethodists.org/service/asb or e-mail asb@aumethodists.org.

Wednesday, Jan. 30

AU Abroad General Information Session 12:30-1 p.m. WHERE: MGC 247 INFO: At this information session, find out how to select a program, the costs and the application process of studying abroad before you meet with an AU Abroad adviser. Also, find out more about the pre-departure process, and what is to be done before leaving. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail auabroad@american.edu.

Conservation and Sustainable Development: Environmental Careers 3:30-5 p.m. WHERE: SIS Lounge INFO: As part of SIS Career Week, a panel of alumni and employers in the field of sustainable development and environmental policy will talk about the field and how to prepare for a career like this during the undergraduate years. CONTACT: For more information, call the Career Center at 202-885-1800.