Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro brief

Nine D.C. government employees fired for porn surfing

The D.C. government is firing nine employees for visiting pornographic Web sites while at work, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Each of the nine employees looked at pornography on the Internet an average of 19,000 times last year. Three of them looked more than 39,000 times, according to the results of a study of more than 10,000 government computers.

A technology officer in the Office of Property Management conducted the review of nearly one-third of the government's total computers after he caught wind of the illicit Web surfing from an interdepartmental informant, according to The Post.

"This is not just egregious behavior - it's reprehensible," Mayor Adrian M. Fenty said at the press conference where he announced the firings.

The nine employees worked for four city governmental agencies - the Offices of Property Management, Contracting and Procurement, Child and Family Services and the Attorney General. The investigation revealed no evidence of employees having viewed child porn, The Post reported.

-CHRISTOPHER COTTRELL