Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, Jan. 28

Film: "The Forgotten Eagles" 8-10 p.m. WHERE: National Air and Space Museum, 2829 16th St. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red line) INFO: This documentary, from director/producer Victor Mancilla, depicts the tale of the "Aztec Eagles" Mexican Fighter Squadron 201 that helped free the Philippines from the Japanese control in World War II. Admission is free, but tickets are required. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-633-0925 or e-mail woodamanr@si.edu.

Tuesday, Jan. 29

Music: "Jon Check" 9 p.m. WHERE: The Red & The Black, 1212 H St. N.E. METRO: Union Station (red line) INFO: Hear Jon Check, a Pittsburgh-based singer-songwriter, while enjoying the atmosphere of the "New Orleans" fashioned tavern. There is an $8 music cover charge. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-399-3201.

Wednesday, Jan. 30

Discussion: "John Hockenberry: Hear Now!" 6:30 p.m. WHERE: Goethe-Institut, 812 Seventh St. N.W. METRO: Gallery Place/Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines) INFO: Hear John Hockenberry, an award-winning radio producer and television correspondent, discuss his experience in the radio and television industry while comparing the media's potential and restrictions for communicating. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-289-1200.

Thursday, Jan. 31

Lecture: "Meet the Artist: Wangechi Mutu" 7 p.m. WHERE: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, Independence Avenue at Seventh Street S.W. METRO: L'Enfant Plaza (yellow, green, blue and orange lines) INFO: Hear artist Wangechi Mutu discuss her collages of pictures from fashion magazines and National Geographic publications. Mutu explores issues of identity, stereotypes of female sexuality and culture. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-633-2829.

Friday, Feb. 1

"Black Expressions: Hip Hop Festival!!!" 8 p.m. WHERE: Dance Place, 3225 Eighth St. N.E. METRO: Federal Triangle (blue and orange lines) INFO: This dance festival returns for the fifth year featuring Culture Shock DC, Arch Dance Company and hip-hop artists from the D.C. area. General admission is $22. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-269-1600.

Saturday, Feb. 2

Annual Prize Masquerade Ball 7 p.m.-midnight WHERE: The Washington Saengerbund Fasching, Arlington Boulevard in Fairfax, Va. METRO: Vienna/Fairfax-GMU (orange line) INFO: Enjoy dancing, live bands and German food at the costume prize masquerade ball. Tickets are $25 if bought in advance and $30 at the door. CONTACT: For more information, or to buy tickets in advance, contact Eva Brandt at 703-280-1772.

Sunday, Feb. 3

Guided Tour: "Forged in Fire: Wrought Iron at Washington National Cathedral" 1:30 p.m. WHERE: Washington National Cathedral, Wisconsin and Massachusetts avenues N.W. METRO: 1.5 miles south of Tenleytown/AU (red line) INFO: Come on a guided tour of the cathedral's iron artwork of grilles, vases, candlesticks and handrails. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-537-6200.