Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Scene Calendar

The week in fun: Know your city

Thursday, Jan. 24 DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist 7:30 p.m. WHERE: 9:30 club, 815 V St. N.W. METRO: U Street-Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist come together for an electric, live mixing show. COST: $35

An Evening with the Asylum Street Spankers 8 p.m. WHERE: Jammin' Java, 227 Maple Avenue East, Vienna, Va. METRO: Vienna/Fairfax-GMU (orange line) INFO: Acoustic-driven blues revival band with punk roots plays in intimate setting. COST: $20

Friday, Jan. 25 Persepolis See Web site for showtimes WHERE: Landmark's E Street Cinema, 555 11th St. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red line) INFO: Now on the big screen, Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel tells the story of her coming-of-age in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. COST: $6.75-$9.50

Chopteeth 6 p.m. WHERE: The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Millennium Stage, 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) INFO: Orchestra blends West African music with rumba, ska and funk. COST: Free

Saturday, Jan. 26 "Matisse: Painter as Sculptor" Through Feb. 3 WHERE: Baltimore Museum of Art 10 Art Museum Drive, Baltimore, Md. INFO: In its final two weeks, this exhibit highlights the intense sculpture of the famous French painter. COST: $15, tickets needed

"The F Word": Part of the Inkubator Festival 2008 Through Feb. 3 WHERE: H Street Playhouse, 1365 H St. N.E. METRO: New York Avenue-Florida Avenue (red line) INFO: Staged reading of the play that explores obesity. Part of the Inkubator Festival, a new play festival ending Monday. COST: Donations accepted

Sunday, Jan. 27 Members of the National Symphony Orchestra - Mozart & Stravinksy: The Search For Perfection 7:30 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Terrace Theater, 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (blue and orange lines) INFO: Features a wind octet and Mozart's famous sonatas for violin and piano. COST: $38

Journeys Through Vanishing Worlds: Politics and Prose 1 p.m. WHERE: 5015 Connecticut Ave. N.W. METRO: Van Ness (red line) INFO: Author Abraham Brumberg discusses his memoir that details his experiences growing up in then Palestine and pre-World War II Warsaw. COST: Free

Monday, Jan. 28 "Japanese Arts of the Edo Period, 1615-1868" 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily Through Feb. 28 WHERE: Freer Gallery of Art, 12th Street and Jefferson Drive S.W. METRO: Smithsonian (blue and orange lines) INFO: The Asian art gallery showcases poetry, theater and decorative arts from the Edo period in Japanese history, a time of peace and increased isolation. COST: Free

One Life: Katharine Hepburn 11:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. daily Through Sept. 28 WHERE: National Portrait Gallery, Eighth and F streets METRO: Gallery Place/Chinatown (red, green and yellow lines) INFO: These photographs trace the life of Hollywood's spirited leading lady. COST: Free

Tuesday, Jan. 29 Sleeping Beauty 7:30 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Opera House, 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: The American Ballet Theatre performs a new interpretation of the classic fairy tale with sets and costumes from a Tony Award-winning team. COST: $43-$79

"Phil Nesmith: My Baghdad" 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday WHERE: Irvine Contemporary, 1412 14th St. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red line) INFO: Nesmith embedded himself in an Army unit in Iraq to produce the photographs showcased in this exhibit. COST: Free