Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Scene Calendar

The week in fun: Know your city

Thursday Jan. 31 Ed Hamilton 7 p.m. WHERE: Olsson's Books & Records - Dupont Circle 1307 19th St. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: Hamilton reads from his book, "Legends of the Chelsea Hotel: Living with the Artists and Outlaws of New York's Rebel Mecca." The book details the electric pull of this infamous hotel. COST: Free

Meet the Artist: Wangechi Mutu 7 p.m., doors open at 6:30 p.m. WHERE: Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden Ring Auditorium Seventh Street S.W. and Independence Avenue METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: Artist discusses how growing up in Nairobi, Kenya, and living in Brooklyn, N.Y., influenced her artwork, collage-based images that explore identity, culture and female sexuality. If you can't make the talk, you can download a free podcast of it on the Hirshhorn Web site. COST: Free

Friday Feb. 1 Sorted: Brit Pop, Soul, Indie Pop with DJ Stereo Faith 9:00 p.m. WHERE: Black Cat Backstage 1811 14th St. NW METRO: U Street/Cardozo (green line) INFO: Dance too close with classmates you'd never expect to see at this Black Cat classic. COST: $5

Army of Me 8:30 p.m. WHERE: The Rock and Roll Hotel 1353 H St. N.E. METRO: New York Avenue/Florida Ave. (green line) INFO: Washington-based alt-rock group performs with favorites the Dance Party, Exit Clov and Good Night, States. COST: $10

Saturday Feb. 2 Black Expressions: Hip Hop Festival 8 p.m. WHERE: Dance Place 3225 Eight St. N.E. METRO: Brookland/CUA (red line) INFO: The fifth-year of this dance performance features D.C. area hip-hop dancers stomping the boards. COST: $22

Emily King 9:30 p.m. WHERE: Black Cat Mainstage 1811 14th St. N.W. METRO: U Street/Cardozo (green line) INFO: This Grammy-nominated R&B artist is headed to the Black Cat from New York to sing and play guitar. COST: $15

Sunday Feb. 3 Bronze and Boxwood: Renaissance Masterpieces from the Robert H. Smith Collection Through May 4 WHERE: National Gallery of Art Fourth Street and Constitution Avenue N.W. METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: Bronze sculptures from the 16th and 17th centuries, including Giovanni Bologna's "Birdcatcher," come to the National Gallery. COST: Free

Crafts and Kisses Noon to 5 p.m. WHERE: Josephine Butler Parks Center 2437 15th St. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: Indie-art fair featuring the work of more than 30 artists, including ironic T-shirts, hand-made soap and jewelry. There will also be music, a kissing booth and a swag bag for the first 50 visitors. COST: Free

Monday Feb. 4 Charles Demuth 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tuesday through Thursday WHERE: George Washington University Brady Gallery 805 21st St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom (orange and blue lines) INFO: While Demuth's watercolor portraits of modern urban scenes may feel European, he helped develop the avant-garde scene in the United States. COST: Free

Marcus Mitchell Project 8 and 10 p.m. WHERE: Blues Alley 1073 Wisconsin Ave. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: Enjoy the sweet stylings of one of Smooth Jazz Magazine's top albums of the year. Saxophone chases away a case of the Mondays. COST: $18

Tuesday Feb. 5 High School Musical 7:30 p.m. WHERE: The National Theater 1321 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red line) INFO: Disney's hit takes the stage, following the story of science nerd Gabriella Montez and basketball star Troy Bolton as they audition for their high school musical. Get your head in the game! COST: $41.50-$86.50

Paper Toy Making 6 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Millennium Stage 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom (orange/blue lines) INFO: Part of the "Japan! Culture Hyperculture" festival at the Kennedy Center, paper-toy maker Shin Tanaka instructs the audience in his art. The festival continues through Feb. 15, featuring anime, music and even top-spinning. COST: Free