Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Tips to fight winter blues

Most people believe the winter blues are a commercialized concept to sell more essence candles, warm sweaters, cookies and astounding amounts of chocolate and milk, but there is more than superstition to this syndrome. Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, is a type of depression that affects up to one in 20 people, with younger people aged 18 to 40 more likely to be affected, according to BBC Health. That said, bright light, affection and a tad of interior design can help ensure that SAD won't affect you this winter.

1. Lighten up When your dorm looks like a 15th century library, we can't really ask you to smile. Let's face it - you can't afford having a room that feels any less than paradise if you plan to stay alive this winter. For most of us, winter is a time to "stay in" more often. Make that smelly cave of yours feel like home by getting some spiffy lamps to bring positive energy into the room.

2. Warm up This has nothing to do with Aldo scarves, J.Crew coats or North Face jackets. It is about making everything else in you warmer. Start with colors. Of course, black, gray and brown make you look slim, stylish and professional, but how do they make you feel? Colors alter perception, and the color spectrum is too wide to be sticking to morbid hues. Bottom line is, if you can't make them bright, at least make them vibrant.

Try warming up your eating habits as well. Toast it, microwave it, boil it - as long as it's hot! Nothing compares to the warm feel of hot chocolate in the middle of a boring Wednesday. Take chances, hit the kitchen (yes, despite all rumors, there are working kitchens on each floor in the dorms) and cook something for or with fellow students.

3. Summer up What is it about summer that fosters smiles? Think of your five senses and how they are stimulated in mid-June. Create a summer-themed iPod playlist and you will find how powerful music can be in the face of wintry downers. Starting the day with Norah Jones' "Sunrise" might just make AU a better place.

4. Heat up the dance floor Dancing is not only a perfect indoor exercise, but it can also keep you warm and, when joined by the right person, enthused. Here's a secret from girls who love short dresses: Dancing equals immunity to freezing.

So, next time you get sad, think light, warmth, summer and friends. The winter blues just happen to be something for which you'll enjoy the therapy.