SO CLOSE - No. 23 Maggie Smith-Davidson watches No. 22 Liz Lear drive to the basket, but it was not enough to help the Eagles avoid their seventh straight loss on Wednesday night, losing to Bucknell by three in overtime.

Women's b-ball suffers mid-season slump over break

Team in middle of seven-game slide

Despite high hopes and a 6-4 record heading into winter break, the women's basketball team has suffered seven straight losses since Dec. 19.

Though the majority of these games were close matches that ended in the final seconds of the game, the Eagles could not rally enough to finish off their opponents. The Eagles had several chances to win in games against Cleveland State and Maryland Eastern Shore, but some bad luck led to last-second heroics by the Eagles' opponents.

Cleveland State beat AU at the buzzer, 65-63, and Maryland Eastern Shore pulled ahead 60-56 in the final 20 seconds of the game. Even in games against George Mason, a 59-47 defeat and Radford, a game they dropped 58-50, the Eagles were constantly close until the closing minutes of their match-ups. In their other two losses, the Eagles could not overcome Drexel and Lehigh.

By averaging 13.6 points per game and passing out 4.1 assists per game, senior guard Liz Hayes has led the AU squad this season. Junior guard Talicia Jackson has also added guidance to the Eagles with her 8.8 points per game and her tenacious defense. Senior forward Maggie Smith-Davidson has also supported the team with her 6.6 rebounds per game.

Even with many Eagles putting up impressive stats, they were not able to defeat league rivals the Bucknell Bison last night. Though the Eagles started with a 7-2 lead ,they were not able to hold onto it and ended up losing the game in overtime with a score of 67-64.