Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, Feb. 18

George Washington Birthday Parade 1-3 p.m. WHERE: South St. Asaph Street at Wilkes Street, Alexandria, Va. METRO: Eisenhower Avenue (yellow line) INFO: Take part in the largest parade in the nation celebrating Washington's birthday. A free DASH shuttle will take individuals downtown and back during the event. CONTACT: For more information, call 703-991-4474.

Tuesday, Feb. 19

"Dishes That Translate: Kosher Cuisine from Across the Globe" 7-9 p.m. WHERE: Sixth & I Historic Synagogue, 600 I St. N.W. METRO: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines) INFO: In this session of the three-part hands-on cooking class, learn to prepare vegetarian dishes from Jewish communities abroad while learning about the culture from each country. Participants must make reservations for this event, which has a $20 admission fee. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-408-3100.

Wednesday, Feb. 20

80th Academy Award Nominees Film Series: "Sicko" 7 p.m. WHERE: U.S. National Archives and Records Administration, Constitution Avenue N.W. between Seventh and Ninth streets METRO: Archives-Navy Memorial (yellow and green lines) INFO: This film screening is part of the fourth annual free screening of the year's Academy Award-nominated films in four different categories. There is no admission fee for this event. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-501-5000.

Thursday, Feb. 21

"Take Five! Potomac Jazz Project" 5-6:30 p.m. WHERE: Smithsonian American Art Museum, Eighth and F streets N.W. METRO: Gallery Pl-Chinatown (red, yellow and green lines) INFO: Enjoy hot jazz and cool art. The Potomac Jazz Project performs swing, be-bop, sounds of the 1940s and 1950s, hard bop and soul jazz from the 1960s and modern fusion. There is no admission fee for this event. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-275-1500.

Friday, Feb. 22

Junoon featuring Salman Ahmad 8 p.m. WHERE: National Geographic Live! Gilbert H. Grosvenor Auditorium, 1600 M St. N.W. METRO: Farragut North (red line) and Farragut West (blue and orange lines) INFO: The best-selling band Junoon combines their powerful arena rock with the tranquility of Sufi poetry in a live performance. The Pakistani group emphasizes humanity's oneness with the divine in their lyrics. Admission for this event is $35. Tickets can be purchased online or at the National Geographic ticket office before the show starts. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-857-7700.

Saturday, Feb. 23

Lecture - "Kieran Timberlake Associated: 2008 AIA Firm Recipient" 6:30-8 p.m. WHERE: National Building Museum, 401 F St. N.W. METRO: Judiciary Square (red line) INFO: Kieran Timberlake Associates has designed holistic buildings that uniquely connect its work and program to people for the last 25 years. Stephen Kieran and James Timberlake, the recipients of the 2008 Architecture Film Award from the American Institute of Architects, will discuss their research-based approach to designing architecture. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-272-2448.

Sunday, Feb. 24

"Women in 'The Flying Dutchman': 'What Were They Thinking?'" 2-4 p.m. WHERE: National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red, blue and orange lines) INFO: Join Washington National Opera singers Evelyn Lear and Jennifer Wilson in an insightful evening on their perspectives on Senta, a character in the opera "The Flying Dutchman." WNO Artistic Operations Director Christina Scheppelmann will moderate this event. Tickets for this event cost $15 and include free admission to the museum exhibits. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-295-2400.