Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
Though red shirt sophomore Mike Cannon (above left) won his bout in the 165-lb. weight class at yesterday's home wrestling match, only three of his teammates were able to do the same. Old Dominion came out on top 31-12.

Monarchs Tech Fall Eagles

Red shirt senior Josh Glenn (197-lb.) fought his last home bout for the Eagles Sunday in Bender against the Old Dominion Monarchs. The AU wrestlers were not able to overcome the power of Old Dominion, though, and ended with a final score of 31-12.

Glenn is the first national wrestling champion out of AU. The match started out with a ceremony for the soon-to-graduate wrestler with members of his family, training and coaching staff in attendance.

The competition started with the Eagles forfeiting the 125-lb. match. This along with a loss from freshman Matt Mariacher (133-lb.) dug the Eagles into a nine-point hole. Sophomore Kyle Borshoff offered the first glint of hope for the Eagles, defeating his opponent with a 5-2 decision. With the team scores at 14-3, favoring Old Dominion, senior Chris Stout (157-lb.) took to the mat. Stout's wrestling was controlled and technical, giving him a strong 2-0 lead. However, two penalties were called against Stout, one for scissoring his opponent's head and the other for locking his hands while on top. These points did not hinder Stout's progress, leading him to win the match.

The 165-lb. match after Stout's victory was held up on the Eagles' side by No. 7 ranked Nick Cannon going against his No. 15 ranked opponent. Canon won his match with a 4-3 decision, closing the team scores to 14-9.

The Eagles dropped the next two matches, leading into Glenn's match with Old Dominion strongly holding onto their 25-9 score. Glenn won his last match on AU turf with a score of 4-2.