Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Put some emotion into all that 'Lust'

Review: Lust Lust Lust, Grade: C+

The Raveonettes "Lust Lust Lust" VICE Records Sounds like: A watered down Jesus and Mary Chain.

"Lust Lust Lust," the new album from garage-rockers The Raveonettes, happens to be the most appropriately named album of the year.

The record, like its title, is one giant repetition - a monotonous batch of the same song played over and over again. Listening to the album through and through, there is not even a way to distinguish any one song from another.

The whole thing lacks any sign of emotion, let alone even a trace of lust. Despite its fitting name, this album is a total letdown. Tracks like "Aly, Walk With Me" start off with promising rhythms but are smothered with scratchy noise that is far louder than any instrument on the track.

These so-called songwriters aren't even writing melodies - not to say that they must. Each song contains a whopping four or five vocal notes in total, which happen to be the same exact, droning vocals from the prior song.

The Raveonettes are a band that prides itself on moving forward. If anything, "Lust Lust Lust" is one enormous step backward for the future of music. Their minimalist approach to garage rock sounds awfully nice as a thought, but not so much as a produced recording.

Don't waste the three-quarters of an hour it would take to listen to this tedious mess - just buy any album by the Jesus and Mary Chain. Or, come to think of it, don't.

-ROB NATALE