Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Stay stylish: Covered-up trends dominate runways

Stripped-down craze dwindles as another season begins

Vulgarity in fashion has been an issue since designers like Coco Chanel ruled the runways, but we're happy to say recent designs have showed us a lot less skin. The past year emphasized conservative styles with high-necked dresses, diving hemlines, longer sleeves and while lacking the formerly popular V-neck. We've learned that being noticed is best done subtly - not by showing your stomach, but by accenting it with a thin belt or drop-waist.

Take jeans, for example. The waistlines have fallen lower and lower, some almost to the point where there isn't even a point in putting pants on. But slowly, designers and celebrities alike have realized that this isn't the way to get attention. Christina Aguilera, whose low-slung leather pants and dirty-girl style shocked us in 2003, recently came back with a more retro-chic, conservative style. We no longer look at her with mouths wide open; we now recognize her talent much more than what she's wearing - or what she's not.

Many stars have started to follow Christina's covered-up trend, including Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie and even that hot mess Tara Reid. For some of these girls, their behavior often override how they dress, no matter how little skin they show or whose designs they wear. However, dressing well never goes unnoticed. As soon as celebutantes start dressing a little classier, the media are all over it, commenting on how much they love the stars' new look and comparing their new style to their old.

When the runways surprised us with the abrupt change from low-cut, V-neck dresses to high-waisted, retro-chic outfits that showed a lot less skin, an eruption of new trends, such as big belts, cinched waists, princess sleeves and wide necklines have instantly made it easier to show off figures without sharing so much skin.

In addition, let's be serious: It's pretty cold outside. If you want to be warmer and stay in style - what's stopping you from ditching that mini for a pencil skirt? Why not wear a high-necked dress instead of that skimpy spaghetti strap number? For once, fashion is attempting to make our lives much easier, so embrace it!

So, next time you're browsing through Bloomingdales for a dress for, oh, let's just say the Founders' Day Ball, don't look for the dress with the lowest neckline or the shortest skirt.

Stay Stylish, Lara and Virginia