Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Teeny boppers need to get 'Real'

Broken Social Scene-r does not forget his experimental roots

The Wagner Logic "Easiest to Grab" Wilderhood Records Sounds like: A neat spin on your everyday garage band Grade: B-

With the release of their latest album, "Easiest to Grab," Alaskan natives The Wagner Logic have concentrated their efforts, giving rise to a new form of music they call "Basementia."

In short, this new genre entails a hodgepodge of indie and lo-fi garage rock with '60s influenced psychedelia that The Wagner Logic manages to fuse into an album. Unfortunately, the finished product doesn't quite sound as good as its description.

There are clearly some well-written aspects here, especially throughout the many guitar melodies. Tracks like "Up A River" and "Conflicting Sound" are the album's definite peak with eerie yet catchy melodies and erratic backing vocals. Sadly though, the monotony of essentially everything else inhibits the album from developing any further.

"Arizona," the album's fifth track, sounds almost identical to any track The Vines have ever recorded. And as a whole, "Easiest to Grab" hasn't got a whole lot that grabs this listener.

It's too bad this is the case too, because after listening to the first four promising tracks, it seems like The Wagner Logic might be onto something. From that point forward, though, the record loses steam quickly and dismisses any previous hopes with a vengeance.

The Wagner Logic have tried to create something here that is truly their own, and for that they do deserve some credit. However, the album could be a whole lot better if it had remained consistent with its own theme.

-ROB NATALIE

Wax Fang "La La Land" Don't Panic! Sounds like: Billy Joel and Iron Maiden's love child Grade: B-

When a background check on the Louisville-based Wax Fang reveals ties with groups like My Morning Jacket and Spoon and a bio that boasts comparisons to Pink Floyd and David Bowie, you're inclined to take them seriously. But the Billy Joel-esque voice of lead singer and guitarist Scott Carney combined with an overdose of comically simple, referential riffs pretty much eliminates that possibility.

Any group incorporating the cheesy aspect of hair bands needs biting Axel Rose-type lead vocals. Carney and drummer Kevin Ratterman are skilled players, but irksome lyrics taint their performances. Songs like "Can You See the Light?" contain interesting sound effects and intriguing variations of mode and genre.

"At Sea" offers an enjoyable trip of near-majestic plucking, the buzz of a kazoo adding spunk. Fans of The Who could excuse Roger Daltrey for occasionally singing out of key; their anthem lyrics and his raw expression, speaking to the emotional and political angst of the times, more than made up for it. By contrast, Fang's simplistic verses evoke the image of a middle-aged survivor of "my generation," offering encouraging advice to a bunch of today's pouty teenagers.

Perhaps Wax Fang should give up trying to emulate the late greats and take a page from Polyphonic Spree's book by just living up to their own upbeat tunes. Incidentally, the album's last song, "Wake Up Sleepyhead," does just that, leaving us with the hopeful impression of "now that's more like it."

-MARLEY GIBBONS

Meg & Dia "Something Real" Warner Brothers Records Sounds like: Two Jojos singing with Sum 41 Grade: C+

Sisters Meg & Dia's second album "Something Real" is representative of the progress they have made in the spotlight of today's pop music scene since their first acoustic self-released album "Our Home is Gone." Their career developed through self-promotion via MySpace, which landed them spots in the 2006 Warped Tour and on the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" soundtrack, among other things.

In response to the demands of today's top 40 listeners, they spruced up some of their cutesy, harmonious sister guitar duos from "Our Home" by adding backup from drummer Nick Price, who, according to Meg's notes, is infatuated with blink-182. They needed producer Stacy Jones of American Hi-Fi to make the jump from a sweet Frente sound to the fist-pumping hit you want to blast in your car.

But a closer look at Meg's poetic lyrics in "Rebecca" and "Tell Mary" may make you take a second listen to see what she was thinking - their songs are deeper than the average Duff sister tune. Hits like "Monster" and "Getaways Turned Holidays" will have you singing this Josey and the Pussycats and Michelle Branch hybrid all day long, like it or not. Meg & Dia's logo, "merch store" and "msg board" can be found on their official Web site, and fans are encouraged to vote for the video of the hit song "Roses" on TRL.

Yes, Meg & Dia have been caught in the mainstream in a big way, but we can't blame 'em. At least they write their own songs.

-M.G.

Jason Collett "Here's to Being Here" Arts & Crafts Sounds like: Bob Dylan took a trip down experimental highway and found vocal strength Grade: B+

It would be easy for listeners to get lost in Dylan-reminiscent vocal phrasing as they journey through Jason Collett's newest release, "Here's to Being Here." But if they did, they would miss the masterful composition that lies behind making an alt-country indie album sound unassumingly classic.

On his newest release, Collett flees Broken Social Scene, casting off the baroque chaos that defines his work with the Canadian supergroup and making a pilgrimage toward the folk music that he cites as his inspiration.

While he certainly does not discard his experimental streak, he disguises it behind warbling harmonicas and twanging banjos until it, too, is covered by the dust of the roads his lyrics explore.

His willingness to surrender blatant experimentation and overpowering electronic tracks to his throwback theme creates an important sense of singularity for the album, avoiding its potential to become a frightening patchwork of indie rock predecessors and days gone by.

Perhaps the wholeness of "Being Here" is what makes it feel slightly askew. Despite the catchy blues base of "Sorry Lori" and the rhythmic lyricism of "Charlyn, Angel of Kensington," Collett's latest work feels vaguely contrived.

While the result is a very listenable record, audiences may find it all too familiar, with the elegant sensibilities and charming melodic moments of tracks like "Henry's Song" purloined from better-known personalities.

-M.W.