Terrapins drive Eagles down and out on the mat

Cannon and Borshoff highlight Eagle effort

Despite another great showing from sophomores Mike Cannon and Kyle Borshoff, the Eagles fell to the Maryland Terrapins in College Park on Wednesday, dropping their record to 3-13 for the year.

The night started off on a bad note, as AU was forced to forfeit their 125-lb. match-up against Terrapin Brendan Byrne. Already down 6-0 because of the forfeit, the Eagles fought back to take a 14-13 lead but could not hold on to it.

Cannon's defeat of Maryland's Ryan Kennet gave AU the lead. The 165-lb. red shirt sophomore has had a stellar season and ended the night ranked sixth in the league, his highest ranking so far this season. Cannon's win was AU's last of the night, however, as the favored Terrapins won the next four matches and finished the night with a 37-14 margin of victory.

The Terrapins came into the meet ranked 23 in the nation and showed their dominance late in the match. Maryland has three ranked players in the 174-lb. through 197-lb. weight classes and they showed their skills by shutting out the Eagles' heavier weight classes. The highlight of the match came when Terrapin Mike Letts first pinned Eagle sophomore Jonathon Powell in 26 seconds, followed by a 22-second pinning from Terrapin Josh Heins.

The Eagles, who have lost six matches to ranked opponents this season, head to Lewisburg, Pa., on Saturday to face their Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association rivals, the Bucknell Bison.