Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

The week in fun: Know your city

Scene calendar

Thursday, February 28 "From the Streets to the Gallery: How Contemporary Art Is Being Influenced by the Urban Experience" 6:30-8:30 p.m. WHERE: Katzen Arts Center, room 151 INFO: New York curators Marc and Sara Schiller present a visual lecture on graffiti art and the role it plays in the contemporary art scene. This event is free and all are welcome to attend. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Rachel Friedmann at mussum@american.edu.

Friday, February 29 Apes 9 p.m. WHERE: Black Cat 1811 14th St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: Come rock out for the release of this local psych/sludge rock group's new album, "Ghost Games." COST: $10

Lawrence Gipe: Arrivals and Departures 11 a.m.-6 p.m. WHERE: Randall Scott Gallery 1326 14th St. N.W. METRO: Farragut West (orange line) INFO: Gipe's latest exhibit places trains and planes in a powerful, historical context. His images depict a raw sense of political transformation and upheaval. COST: Free

Saturday, March 1 "All That I Will Ever Be" 8:30 p.m. WHERE: Studio Theatre, 2ndStage Stage 4 1501 14th St. N.W. METRO: Dupont Circle (red line) INFO: The writer for the television show "Six Feet Under" and movie "American Beauty" creates a seductive story following the relationship of an American man and a Middle Eastern man living in Los Angeles. COST: $29

The English Beat 7:30 p.m. WHERE: 9:30 Club 815 V St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: D.C. rude boys and girls can rock out to the iconic British two-tone band, reunited in 2005 and touring with three of its six original members. COST: $25

Sunday, March 2 "Let Your Motto Be Resistance: African American Portraits" 11:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. WHERE: National Portrait Gallery Eighth and F streets N.W. METRO: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red, green and yellow lines) INFO: 150 years come alive through portraits of historic African American personalities. COST: Free

"The Last Five Years" 3 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: Also playing Friday and Saturday at 8:30 p.m., this musical looks at the first five years of a couple's relationship. COST: Free

Monday, March 3 "Voices of the 20th Century" 6 p.m. WHERE: Kennedy Center, Millennium Stage 2700 F St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (orange and blue lines) INFO: This discussion will cover the past 100 years of black history. COST: Free

Bill Kirchen and the Hammer of the Honky-Tonk Gods 7:30 p.m. WHERE: Jammin' Java 227 Maple Ave. East Vienna, Va. METRO: Vienna/Fairfax (orange line) INFO: Kirchen brings his famous dieselbilly sound to Virginia. COST: $20

Tuesday, March 4 Presidential Primary Watch Party 6 p.m. WHERE: Busboys and Poets 2021 14th St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: The Democratic presidential primaries in will be shown on four screens. COST: Free

Shalom Hanoch 8 p.m. WHERE: Lisner Auditorium, George Washington University 730 21st St. N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom-GWU (orange and blue lines) INFO: Come see the man behind Israeli rock 'n' roll. COST: $35-$75