Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro Calendar

Monday, March 31 Walking Tour: "The Blossom Secrets Stroll" 10 a.m.-noon WHERE: National Mall METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: Go on a guided walking tour that reveals the stories and secrets behind the cherry trees. The tour will meet outside the Smithsonian Metro station. Guides will be wearing blue and green Washington Walks badges and carrying blue parasols. This event costs $10 and does not require reservations. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-484-1565.

Tuesday, April 1 "The Dinner Party: An Evening of Experimental Dance, Music and Performance Art" 8:30 p.m. WHERE: The Warehouse Theatre - Suite 820, 1156 15th St. N.W. METRO: N6 Bus toward Farragut Square to the Connecticut Avenue and Street stop INFO: This event is part of a new series of monthly open showings that will occur Tuesday nights. The evening will culminate with a brief guided audience discussion. Admission for this event is $5. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-778-1190.

Wednesday, April 2 Walking Tour: "The Most Haunted Houses" 7-9 p.m. WHERE: Lafayette Square METRO: Farragut West (orange and blue lines) INFO: This guided walking tour explores the stories that transpired within the homes of President Andrew Jackson, navy hero Stephen Decatur, man of letters Henry Adams and his wife Clover. The tour will end in one of the homes considered to be the most haunted in the city - The Octagon. This tour meets and leaves outside the Farragut West Metro station at the 17th Street exit. Admission for this event is $10 and does not require reservations. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-484-1565.

Thurday, April 3 "August Wilson's 20th Century: Seven Guitars" 7:30 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, the intersection of New Hampshire Avenue, Virginia Avenue and Rock Creek Parkway N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom/GWU (orange and blue lines) INFO: This event presents staged readings from all 10 of Wilson's masterpieces that follow the African-American experience. Each play takes place in a different decade of the 20th century and concentrates on the human condition. Tickets for this event can be purchased online and cost $65. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-467-4600.

Friday, April 4 "Tazza: The High Rollers" 7 p.m. WHERE: Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Jefferson Drive at 12th Street N.W. METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: This Korean film with English subtitles tells a story of the underground world of gambling, dens, fast-talking con men and an unforgettable femme fatale. This film is part of the 2008 D.C. Korean Film Festival. Admission for the event is free, but tickets are required and people can obtain them one hour before showtime. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-633-4880.

Saturday, April 5 "Martin Lawrence Presents: First Amendment Stand Up Comedy" Tapings TBA WHERE: The Lincoln Theatre, U Street N.W. between 12th and 13th streets METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Station (green and yellow lines) INFO: The Starz! channel is taping this event live. The special guest of the event is DJ Biz Markie and will showcase some of America's "hottest" comedians. Admission to this event costs $15. People can purchase tickets through Ticketmaster or two hours prior to show time at the Lincoln Theatre box office. CONTACT: For more information, go to www.1stamendmentstandup.com.