Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

SG Brief

Senate overrides Vidulich's smoking bill veto

The Undergraduate Senate voted to override Student Government President Joe Vidulich's veto of the smoking bill the senate passed last week.

The senate voted 19-7-0 in favor, attaining the two-thirds majority needed to override the veto. The bill will create smoke-free courtesy zones prohibiting smoking at all building entrances and shuttle stops and during densely populated outdoor events and evacuations. The bill also creates a campus-wide awareness campaign informing students of the dangers of secondhand smoke and calls on the university to construct smoking shelters and cigarette receptacles.

The majority of students who attended the meeting supported the bill's veto.

Vidulich said one of the main reasons he vetoed the bill was his concern with its enforcement provision. Currently, the bill calls on the new smoking policy to be included in the school handbook, which Public Safety can enforce.

"I'm not saying it's a complete ban," Vidulich said. "I'm saying it creates an enforcement provision, and it could be the start of a slippery slope."

Approximately 10 students attended the meeting to voice their concerns about the veto of the smoking bill. A majority of the students who spoke during public comment were part of the Facebook group "Light Up and Fight, Oppose the Smoking Ban," which had 72 members as of press time.

Jason Cunningham and Jillian Rubino, both Class of 2009 senators and candidates for SG president, voted to override the veto at the meeting.

"I think it's a triumph of consensus building and is something that will serve the student body," said Cunningham, a co-sponsor of the bill.

Rubino said she thought the smoking policy was good but has problems that need to be worked out.

"I think it will serve as a great suggestion to President Kerwin and will show what students are willing to compromise on," she said.

Seth Cutter, clerk for the senate and candidate for SG president, said he opposes the smoking bill but would support working toward a compromise if elected president.

"I would like to see a policy advantageous to the student body come to fruition," he said.

The senate also voted in favor of a bill to make the Arts Council and the Department of Diversity Advocacy, formerly known as the Diversity Action Team, permanent departments in the SG. The president's office would oversee the departments and would appoint the departments' chairs with consent of the senate.

The senate also passed a resolution to commend Housing and Dining Programs for extending the hours of the package system in Anderson and Centennial halls.

The next senate meeting is March 30 at 2:30 p.m. in the Kogod School of Business, room 118.

-REBECCA KERN