Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Students could lose Pell Grants due to fund cuts

Some students who received Pell Grants this year may not be eligible for them next year, according to Mark Kantrowitz, publisher of FinAid, a Web site offering free student financial aid information.

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides need-based grants to low-income students. Approximately 100,000 students - 2 percent of the pool - will lose their Pell Grants due to a decrease in discretionary funding from Congress. The change pushes the eligibility threshold based on expected family contribution to $4,041. However, the maximum award will increase from $4,310 to $4,731 for students who are still eligible, according to Kantrowitz.

"They gave with one hand and took back with another," he said.

Funding for the Pell Grant comes from two sources: mandatory funds, automatically increased each year, and discretionary funds, which Congress examines each fiscal year. Discretionary funds determine the cut-off point for the award, whereas the mandatory funds determine the maximum amount of each award. The decrease is part of the federal government's attempt to balance the budget, Kantrowitz said.

"Mandatory funding should supplement, not supplant discretionary funding," he said.

Students who lose eligibility for Pell would also lose other federal grants, including the National Smart Grant, which goes to third- and fourth-year science, technology, engineering and math majors, according to Kantrowitz.

Adriana Lora, a sophomore in the School of Communication who received a Pell Grant for this academic year and pays for her education herself, said she thinks it's unfortunate so many students will not be able to receive Pell Grants.

"I really rely on the financial aid to help pay for my tuition," she said.

Lora said that it is unfair that some students will receive more money while others will receive none.

Courtney Albon, a senior in SOC who received a Pell Grant this year, said it seems odd to pull money from the Pell Grant program as the cost of a college education continues to increase.

"It's excluding a lot more people from accessing the education system," she said.