Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus briefs

GLBTA Resource Center holds awards ceremony

AU's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center held its annual awards ceremony Tuesday in Mary Graydon Center. The center honored soon-to-be graduates with rainbow tassles and offered special awards for academics, leadership and campus excellence. The following people won special awards:

*Academic Awards: Harjant Gill, a graduate student in the College of Arts and Sciences; Meghan Karels, a CAS alumna; KT Thirion, a senior in the School of Public Affairs

*Bridge Builder Awards: Vanessa Mueller, a senior in SPA and CAS; Emily Willard, a senior in the School of International Service

*Leadership Awards: Becca Levin, a student in the Washington College of Law; Jillian Rubino, a junior in SPA

*Faculty/Staff Awards: Nancy Polikoff and Hannah Wu

*Alumni Award: Bridget Krzysztofik, a CAS alumna

*Campus Excellence Award: Women & Politics Institute

The center gave Cullyn Foxlee, a high school student, the Richard L. Schlegel National Legion of Honor Award for Emerging Activist, which goes to a high school student who has supported GLBT causes. They gave the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force the Visionary Leader award, which is for an organization that has improved GLBT social justice.

-RACHEL TRAINER

Kerwin to launch smoking courtesy campaign AU President Neil Kerwin said that he disagrees with the Undergraduate Senate's smoking bill, according to Student Government Joe Vidulich.

Kerwin does not plan to put smoking provisions into the AU student handbook, but will implement a courtesy campaign, Vidulich said. Judicial Affairs and Mediation Services can enforce anything in the student handbook.

Vidulich said he agrees with Kerwin's plan to launch a courtesy campaign.

"Right now he's going to embark on a passive campaign, like the civility campaign," he said.

The campaign would include a public relations campaign to promote smoking courtesy next fall, a plan to move smoking receptacles away from buildings and implementation of student smoking cessation programs, Vidulich said.

However, the President's Council is currently investigating the feasibility of implementing a campus-wide smoking ban, he said.

-ALLIE FERAS