Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, April 10 "Do I Hear a Waltz?" 8 p.m. WHERE: Greenberg Theatre INFO: The Department of Performing Arts will present the opening night of its spring musical show, which is about an American woman who falls in love for the first time - with a married Italian man - during her vacation in Venice. Admission costs range from $5 to $15. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Kat Gannon at greenbergtheatre@american.edu or call 202-885-2787.

Friday, April 11 Lecture: French Ambassador to the United States Pierre Vimont 2:15-3:30 p.m. WHERE: Beeghly Chemistry Building, Room 1 INFO: The Department of Language and Foreign Studies and the French Club will sponsor a lecture by French Ambassador to the United States Pierre Vimont. He will discuss French foreign policy and the need to emphasize a bilateral relationship between France and the United States. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail frenchclub@american.edu.

Saturday, April 12 "If Thy Tongue Can Speak" 8-10 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: AU students will present the world premiere of this original play, which talks about the violence that has taken place in the Democratic Republic of the Congo since 1998. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail Kelsey Scherer at kelsey.sherer@gmail.com.

Sunday, April 13 Speaker: Holocaust survivor Charlene Schiff 4:30-6 p.m. WHERE: Ward 1 INFO: As part of Holocaust Remembrance Week, the Jewish Student Association will host Charlene Schiff, one of the two survivors from her hometown of Horochow, Poland. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail jsa@american.edu.

Monday, April 14 American Forum: "The Media and Islam" 8 p.m. WHERE: Ward 1 INFO: This forum will examine the domestic and foreign media's portrayal of Islam and will focus on the media's effects on policy and politics toward Islam. This event is free and open to the public. The School of Communication will sponsor this event. CONTACT: For more information, call Bettina Fisher at 202-885-2074 or e-mail her at bettina@american.edu.

Tuesday, April 15 Midnight Flag Football Tournament 9 p.m.-midnight WHERE: Main quad INFO: The Residence Hall Association and the School of Public Affairs Leadership Program will host a coed flag football tournament on the quad. Teams of between six and eight people can register for a fee of $5 per person. There will be pizza, water and Red Bull at the event. The winning teams will receive prizes. Proceeds go toward the Leadership Development Fund grant foundation, which helps local D.C. high school students get money for community service projects. CONTACT: For more information, e-mail js8929a@american.edu.