Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024
SHOOTING STRONG - Junior midfielder Leslie Fischer (above) and senior midfielder Brittany Finnegan (below) look to continue their hot play this season and lead the Eagles to the NCAA tournament. The Eagles will have the home-field advantage this weekend,

Eagles to host Patriot League Tournament

AU's Patriot League regular season champion lacrosse team will begin its quest for an NCAA tournament bid when it hosts the U.S. Naval Academy in the league semifinals Friday.

In their only meeting this season, the Eagles lost to the Midshipmen 13-12 April 1. During that game, the Eagles rallied from an 8-0 hole but came up just short at the end of the game.

This is the first time the Eagles have hosted the PL Tournament since 2003, when they also won the regular season championship. In the second semifinal game, No. 2-seeded Colgate will play No. 3-seeded Lehigh.

The winner of the league tournament will face the champion of the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference in the NCAA's play-in game May 3 or 4.

-JUSTIN HALL

Six Eagles named to lacrosse all-league team

The women's lacrosse team had six athletes named to the end-of-the-year all-Patriot League teams, with five placed on the first-team squad and one making it to the second-team.

Attackers Lauren Aksionoff and Jackie Lane, midfielders Caitlin Bell and Brittany Finnegan, and goalkeeper Kristine Vida, all seniors, were named to the first-team.

It is Bell's third straight selection, while Jackie Lane and Aksionoff were on the team last season as well. Finnegan and Vida were placed on the second-team last year.

Senior attacker Lauren Lane was named a second-team all-league selection for the first time in her career.

-J.H.