Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

International brief

French film star on trial for fifth time on similar charges as before

Animal rights activist and French movie star Brigitte Bardot faces prosecution for the fifth time for "inciting racial hatred" against Muslims, the Reuters news agency reported Tuesday.

Authorities have charged and fined Bardot for the same offense on four previous occasions since 1997, according to Reuters.

A prominent animal rights activist, Bardot has denounced Muslim traditions and immigration from countries with large Muslim populations.

This time, prosecutors sought a two-month suspended prison sentence and a 15,000 euro fine for her remarks that Muslims were "destroying our country and imposing its acts," Reuters reported.

That amount is three times more than prosecutors have sought in the past. Prosecutor Anne de Fontette said she was tired of dealing with Bardot and increased the fine as a result.

France is home to Europe's largest Muslim community - five million live within its borders and make up 8 percent of its population, according to Reuters.

-C.C.