Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Metro calendar

Monday, April 14

Jerome Sabbagh Quartet 6 p.m. WHERE: John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, intersection of New Hampshire and Virginia avenues and Rock Creek Parkway N.W. METRO: Foggy Bottom/GWU (orange and blue lines) INFO: Sabbagh and his quartet will play modern, organic music that transcends traditional jazz. Admission for this event is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-467-4600.

Tuesday, April 15

Exhibition: "Arts of the Indian Subcontinent and Himalayas" 1:15 p.m. WHERE: Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Jefferson Drive at 12th Street S.W. METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: Visitors will be able to view and discuss sculpture, paintings and drawings artists created in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan and Tibet. The exhibit explains how the arts of this region are closely intertwined with many religious traditions, including Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and Jainism. Admission for this event is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-357-2700.

Wednesday, April 16

"The Honorable Frederick Douglass Community History Performance" 1 p.m. WHERE: Frederick Douglass National Historic Site, 1901 Fort Place S.E. METRO: Anacostia (green line) INFO: Actor Bill Grimmette will bring Frederick Douglass to life in this living history performance at the 19th century activist's home. Admission for this event is free. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-357-2700.

Thursday, April 17

Walking tour - "Daily Ranger Program: Cherry Blossoms" 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. WHERE: Tidal Basin, 900 Ohio Drive S.W. METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: Participants will learn how Japanese cherry trees came to be in D.C. and learn about the cultural and natural history of the nation's capital. People should meet for this event at the Tidal Basin near the entrance of the FDR Memorial and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial welcome tent. Admission for this event is free, and no reservations are required. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-426-6841.

Friday, April 18

Film: "Grain in Ear" 7 p.m. WHERE: Freer Gallery of Art and Arthur M. Sackler Gallery, Jefferson Drive at 12th Street S.W. METRO: Smithsonian (orange and blue lines) INFO: This film tells the story of a single mother's struggle while her husband is in jail and she enters a relationship that results in dire consequences for her and her son in China. The movie is in Mandarin and Korean with English subtitles. People will need to obtain a free ticket to go to this event. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-633-4880.

Saturday, April 19

Exhibition and spa: "The Art of Healing" Noon-5 p.m. WHERE: Honfleur Art Gallery, 1241 Good Hope Road S.E. METRO: Anacostia (green line) INFO: The Spa Life, an eco-friendly traveling spa, will be at the gallery in conjunction with the "Into the Light" exhibition. Attendees will receive 15-minute spa treatments, champagne, chocolate and fresh fruit. The Artisans of McLean will sell handcrafted jewelry from both local and national jewelers during the event. Admission for this event is $35, and participants must obtain a reservation. CONTACT: For more information, call 202-580-5972.

Sunday, April 20

"Centro Espanol de Washington's Feria de Sevilla at Strathmore" Noon-5 p.m. WHERE: Strathmore Performing Arts Center, 5301 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, Md. METRO: Grosvenor/Strathmore (red line) INFO: The fair, now in its 18th year, promotes Spanish culture, traditions and cuisine. There will be a flamenco dance show and Spanish food. Artistic handicrafts will also be on sale. Admission for this event is free. CONTACT: For more information, visit www.dcflamenco.com.