Sunday, Sept. 8, 2024

Review: Lay Down the Law

B

Switches "Lay Down the Law" (Interscope) Sounds like: Franz Ferdinand and T-Rex after a few Red Bulls Grade: B

With ever-catchy choruses, shouting, clapping and a brazen inclination for drama, the Switches' debut album "Lay Down the Law" meets the expectations one would have of a loud British pop band, but they've managed to produce a distinctly amusing sound. With their whiny, high-pitched backup, they sound a bit like the Darkness, a band they once opened for, or for some listeners, Queen.

In tracks like the single "Drama Queen" or "Step Kids in Love," the Switches tell a twitch-inducing story with an accompanying musical plot line, managing to steer clear of an annoying, grating sound, which the Darkness failed to do in some ways.

Bishop's voices sound silly in their slower track "The Need To Be Needed" because they have yet to escape the notion of a fast-times rock parody. Although their lyrics are rarely introspective, they've taken the time to talk about something discernable as opposed to yelling rhymes. In "Every Second," for example, singer Matt Bishop reminds us that "every second counts in love."

They've beat the Vines in a competition for variety and Franz Ferdinand for their excitement, but they've got a few more albums to go before they rival one of their key inspirations: the legendary David Bowie. In the meantime, have fun with this one - they sure did.