NO SMALL FEAT- No. 3 junior Derrick Mercer earned the collegeinsider.com's Patriot League MVP award after he led the Eagles to their first ever NCAA tourney bid. The 5'9" point guard played more than 37.9 out of 40 minutes per game this season and scored

Sports briefs

Hallinan and Lilley awarded PL Runners of the Week

Patriot League conference officials announced that seniors Steve Hallinan and Kate Lilley were named the Patriot League runners of the week for their efforts at last week's Bison Outdoor Games. Both took home the top spot in their respective 1500-meter races; Hallinan finished with a time of 3:44.28 and Lilley crossed the line in 4:31.98.

These times were also the best times in the 1500-meter race in Patriot League competition this season, earning Hallinan an automatic qualifying spot at the NCAA's eastern regional meet.

Collegeinsider.com names Mercer Patriot League MVP

Collegeinsider.com awarded junior Derrick Mercer as the Patriot League's MVP.

Mercer started 22 of the team's 33 games during the season that led to their first-ever trip to the NCAA tournament.

Mercer also led the team in minutes with a per-game average of 37.9 minutes. In addition, he averaged a career-high 12.4 points per game to go along with 4.03 assists per game - good enough for third in the league.

Collegeinsider.com is a Web site that gives out end-of-season awards to the top players and coaches in NCAA Division I basketball.

Field Hockey head coach Jennings looks towards 2008 Olympics

The U.S. Women's National Field Hockey team named AU field hockey head coach Steve Jennings as an assistant coach to the team that will begin its Olympic qualifying tournament this month.

Jennings, who previously played in the Olympics on the U.S. men's national team in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, has been with the AU women's team since 2001.

The team has six games between April 19 and April 27 against group members from Belgium, France, India, Netherlands Antilles and Russia.

The winner of the group will advance to the 2008 Olympics later this year in Beijing.

-JUSTIN HALL