Time to check out the NL contenders and pretenders

In the second of a two-part series, it's now time to preview the teams who will fight it out to displace the Colorado Rockies atop the National League throne.

East 1. New York - In probably the most lopsided trade of this off-season, the Mets picked up two-time Cy Young winner Johan Santana. Depending on the health of Pedro Martinez and John Maine's performance in the second half of the season, the Mets can have a deep rotation.

2. Philadelphia - Great offensive team, probably the best in the National League, but its downfall is pitching. With the addition of Brad Lidge, Brett Myers can move back to the rotation. The team may steal the division title from the Mets.

3.) Atlanta - The return of legendary Braves pitcher Tom Glavine, who pitched for the team for 15 years is a smart move to strengthen the tough rotation. For what they lack in speed, they make up for in power. Mark Kotsay will fill in for Andruw Jones until one of their younger players steps up.

4. Washington - The Nats substantially increased its farm system last year and are hoping to bring in a few young guns to add to its jumbled rotation. Dmitri Young was a promising addition for the Nats last season and will probably put up similar numbers for the '08 season, as well. Chad Cordero remains one of the most dominant closers in the NL.

5. Florida - For the past two years, the Marlins have had the best young middle infield in all of baseball, with Hanley Ramirez and Dan Uggla. They also have been great early in the line-up together. Now look at the rest of the team. The rotation is a mess, it has no depth in the batting order and the closer is Kevin Gregg.

Central 1. Milwaukee - Moving Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun to the outfield is possibly the best move that the Brewers have done in the off-season. Now that Bill Hall will play third, the Brewers will improve drastically in defensive.

2. Chicago - The Cubs emerged on the top of the NL Central last year. Most likely not this season, however. Kosuke Fukudome is the big new addition to the Cubs this season. A beast in Japan, Fukudome will try to lift the team offensively. He will be a nice addition batting alongside Aramis Ramirez.

3. St. Louis - The Cardinals lost the left side of their infield during the off-season. No need to worry: Troy Glaus will fill Scott Rolen's shoes.. Watch for Rick Ankiel this year. Albert Pujols, of course, will have a 100+ RBI season. Chris Carpenter is coming off Tommy John surgery and won't return until mid-season, while Mark Mulder is also recovering from an injury.

4. Cincinnati - Josh Fogg is a great addition for the Reds to have deep in the rotation coming into next year. Watch for prospect Johnny Cueto, who can throw heat that's complemented by a mean change-up. Chad Cordero, who is coming over from Milwaukee, is a great addition to this staff, as well. He is a big upgrade from Dave Weathers.

5. Houston - With an almost complete renovation to the infield this season - Ty Wigginton at third, Miguel Tejada at short and Kazuo Matsui at second, the 'stros are looking to give a whole new look to the squad. The outfield remains mostly the same, minus top-prospect Luke Scott. Michael Bourne filled his spot. Yet again, watch for Hunter Pence, who put up Rookie of the Year numbers last season.

6. Pittsburgh - During the off-season, dealing Jason Bay was the hot topic for the Pirates, but to no avail. Unfortunately, adding Adam LaRoche to the line-up didn't make the team any more of a threat last season. Well, when they combined for 348 strikeouts, not really. Also, they need to invest in a new closer. Better luck next season, Bucs

West 1. Colorado - Most potent offensive in this division and a second in the NL, starting from the speedy Willy Tavarez, Troy Tulowitzki, Matt Holliday, Garrett Atkins, Todd Helton and Brad Hawpe. Five of these guys hit over 90 RBIs last season. The Rockies have to improve a shaky bullpen.

2. Arizona - They have added to an already strong outfield with the acquisition of Justin Upton. As if the D'backs needed anymore pitching, they added powerhouse Dan Haren, who can only improve pitching behind the lefty Cy Young winner Brandon Webb. A big loss for the D'backs pitching staff is Jose Valverde, who led the NL in saves last season.

3. Los Angeles - The Dodgers needed to step it up this year seeing how fierce the West is, and Joe Torre is what the Dodgers need. Brad Penny is a second-half pitcher who will win over 15 games this season. The Dodgers also have a dominant bullpen with Takashi Saito, Scott Proctor and Jonathan Braxton.

4. San Diego - With a rotation of Jake Peavy Chris Young, Greg Maddux, Randy Wolf and Mark Prior, the team also added pitcher Heath Bell in mid-relief, and closer Trevor Hoffman to seal the deal. Expect this division to be close like last year, but don't expect to see the Padres in October.

5. Giants - It's all about Barry Bonds leaving. Granted, they will lose his power and a majority of their on-base percentage, but the clubhouse cancer is gone. Watch out for Tim Linceum. He was a top pitching prospect last year and partially lived up to his reputation. Now that he is in the groove, he'll be a big component to the Giants' rotation, along with Barry Zito and Noah Lowry. They'll hang low this season.