Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

Philosophy and religion professor dies at 52

Lucinda Peach, an associate professor in the School of International Service and the College of Arts and Sciences, died Friday due to complications that resulted from treatment for a recurrence of breast cancer.

Peach, 52, was co-director of the CAS and SIS masters program in ethics, peace and global affairs. She was also involved in AU's general education program as both an instructor and as a member of the General Education Committee. She earned her bachelor's degree in international education at the University of Massachusetts - Amherst in 1974. She went on to graduate from the New York University School of Law in 1982 and earned a doctorate in ethics at Indiana University in 1995. She wrote "Legislating Morality: Religious Identity and Moral Pluralism" in 2002, was editor of two books, and wrote a number of other articles and other scholarly works on gender issues and ethics, according to a memo Dean of Academic Affairs Haig Mardirosian sent to faculty and staff on Monday.

"The leadership, collegiality, commitment, courage, and determination with which she faced her illness were characteristic of Lucinda," Mardirosian said in the memo. "Her gentle friendship, kindness, and indefatigable spirit will be greatly missed by all who knew her and had the privilege of calling her friend, colleague, and teacher."

Peach is survived by her parents, sister Rebecca Cooke of Southampton, Mass., and brother John Peach of Santa Fe, N.M., according to the memo. There are currently plans to hold a memorial service at AU after summer break has concluded, but details for this service were not available at the time this article appeared.

The Eagle will update this article with additional information as it develops.

Posted July 30 at 7:26 p.m.