Monday, Oct. 21, 2024

AU rises to 83rd among 'best colleges'

University two spots higher than on '08 U.S. News list

AU tied for 83rd place on the list of top national universities in the 2009 edition of U.S. News and World Report's "America's Best Colleges" guide.

The university tied with North Carolina State University - Raleigh, the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Stevens Institute of Technology, the University of Alabama and the University of Tulsa for the ranking, according to information the magazine released on its Web site yesterday evening. In the magazine's 2008 rankings, released last August, AU tied for 85th place with five other schools.

Among the six schools in 83rd place this year, Stevens had the highest combined tuition and fees - $36,300. SUNY Forestry had the lowest at $11,396 for out-of-state students and $5,136 for in-state students. AU cost $33,283. AU and Stevens cost the same for all students, while the four state schools in 83rd place had different costs for in-state and out-of-state students.

Georgetown University was the top D.C. school on the list at 23rd place, while George Washington University ranked 53rd. Howard University ranked 102nd and the Catholic University of America was 116th.

The print version of the "America's Best Colleges" guide will go on sale Monday.

The Eagle will provide additional information on this story as it develops.

Article updated at 4:00 a.m. on Aug. 22