Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Calendar

Thursday, Sept. 25 "The Sky, the Earth, and the Rain" 7 p.m., 9:30 p.m. WHERE: AFI Silver Theater and Cultural Center, 8633 Colesville Rd., Silver Spring, Md. METRO: Silver Spring (red line) INFO: Chilean director Jose Luis Torres Leiva brings a visually stunning award-winning film to the silver screen. The film draws on relationships between the lives of four people and the environment in which they live. COST: $10

Friday, Sept. 26 "Host and Guest" 8 p.m. WHERE: Rosslyn Spectrum, 1161 North Kent St., Rosslyn, Va. METRO: Rosslyn (blue and orange lines) INFO: The international, award-winning, movement-based Synetic Theatre will revitalize the adaptation of this epic Georgian poem in light of the recent conflict between Georgia and Russia. Two men from warring cultures attempt to be friends despite the deep hatred that their warring communities feel for each other. COST: $40 regular admission, $20 student ticket

Saturday, Sept. 27 Donna the Buffalo 7 p.m. WHERE: The State Theatre, 220 North Washington St., Falls Church, Va. METRO: East Falls Church (orange line) INFO: See this folk-jam essential band play selections from their new album, "Silverlined." If you really love it, become a real fan and join The Herd! COST: $19, $17 advance-purchase tickets

Sunday, Sept. 28 Apocalyptica 7 p.m. WHERE: 9:30 club, 815 V St. N.W. METRO: U Street/African-American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo (green and yellow lines) INFO: This thrash-metal cello quartet (no lie) returns to D.C. for more headbanging. Now with a drummer, the band rocks harder than ever before. COST: $20

Monday, Sept. 29 "Beauty and the Beat" 6 p.m., 7:30 p.m. WHERE: The National Theatre, 1321 Pennsylvania Ave. N.W. METRO: Metro Center (red line) INFO: Successful local actress and playwright Paula Alprin unites a troupe of storytellers to tell three classic tales for the National Theatre's "Monday Night At the National" series. The twist: Alprin tells these tales with drums! COST: Free

Tuesday, Sept. 30 "The Way of the World" 7:30 p.m. WHERE: Sidney Harman Hall, Lansburgh Theatre, 610 F St. N.W. METRO: Gallery Place-Chinatown (red, green and yellow lines) INFO: Shakespeare Theatre brings this raunchy, witty restoration comedy written by William Congreve to life with a talented cast and crew including D.C. stage star Nancy Robinette. COST: $38-$56 regular admission. $10 rush tickets available. Student tickets are also available.