Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Fall into layers of cozy fabrics

Pair those cool basics with warm sweaters

The change of seasons means it's time to phase out your summer wardrobe. Fall is a great time to layer your lighter-weight pieces that can be easily removed during warm afternoons. The trick is to be moderate in your choices without dressing at either end of the seasonal spectrum.

First, the material of what you layer is absolutely the most important aspect of the process. If you are wearing a summer weight top in cotton or jersey, you should wear a fall weight sweater, cardigan or hoodie to keep warm. Fall pieces made of tweed or a larger cable knit are generally the focal point of an outfit and will also keep you warm enough not to wear any additional clothes.

Color is pivotal. Fall-weight items in summery colors like pink, green and yellow are a great way to transition into a new season. They are easily mixed with fall hues like browns, brick red, black, rust orange and royal purple. Your more darkly toned summer clothes can still be worn, but be sure to pair them with fall items like jackets, coats or sweaters.

The weather also calls for light outerwear at this time of year. Simple khaki jackets, denim jackets or chino blazers are all completely appropriate to throw over a button-down, top or just a simple T. Make your outerwear a focal point by choosing a jacket with good hardware like brass buttons and interesting details. These intricacies can range from light frills along the button line, crests and embroidery to exaggerated lapels.

Shirts and tops aren't the only facet of layering - pants, shorts and skirts also provide opportunity for mistake. If the weather permits, you can wear shorts and skirts but they need to be matched with a layered top half. For example, jean shorts go well with a darker tank top under a simple v-neck and oversized cardigan.

Tights are appropriate now, but explanation is needed because sticky situations can arise. First, your skirts must be for fall, not summer. For example, a navy corduroy skirt with flats and a cute top is the simplest way to wear tights. Jean skirts must be dark wash, not light wash and tights should be worn with flats or moccasins, not boots yet.

Dresses can also be matched with tights, but it is absolutely critical that the dresses be in winter colors like navy blue, maroon or cream. The best example of this concept is gray or black tights with a polo dress from the Ralph Lauren Rugby store because even the summer versions come in darker colors more fitting for autumn.

Knee socks are also a good alternative to tights for days when it's cold but not chilly enough for tights and boots. Get a cute, colorful pair and match them with another bright piece like a cardigan or button down and a knee length or shorter skirt for a preppy, weather appropriate look.

You can wear accessories like hats and lightweight scarves on some colder fall days, but the same rules from our column a few weeks ago apply. Berets need to be primarily crocheted, not wool. Wool hats are reserved for winter only. Scarves should also be of a lightweight material. Cable knit or cashmere won't be suitable until at least November.

Boys have many options for layering, but our favorite possible look right now is the sweater vest. The vest provides warmth without making you feel too hot and can be easily removed. A solid or argyle one with a coordinating button down and if you're brave, a tie, is perfect. Make sure that the "V" in your sweater is deep enough, though, to fit the tie.

Layering a long-sleeved V-neck sweater with a button-down would also work well for men, with the same rules that pertain to vests. A hoodie is acceptable as well if it's more your style, but at least make sure that it's a nice color and fits properly.

Take advantage of these tips and you're sure to be dressed appropriately. Layers are the most efficient way to transition into fall but be sure to personalize every outfit.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.