Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Israeli Studies prof advocates life-long learning

Yoram Peri, a visiting professor at AU, has a saying that seems to pervade everything he does - "Once you stop learning, you become bored and boring."

Peri currently teaches seven classes at AU, including one section of "Media Systems of Democracies" and six sections of "Israeli Politics." Next semester, he will teach classes on Israeli history and Israeli society. On Nov. 20 at 7 p.m., he will give a post-election lecture entitled "Telepopulism: Media and Politics in Israel and the U.S." at the Katzen Arts Center. This will be part of the Center for Israel Studies' fall programming, designed to provide students different outlets into Israeli society, including music, literature, media and politics.

Peri said he spends his free time traveling the world from Argentina to India. While abroad, he avoids the beaches and tourist traps, opting to delve headfirst into the local culture that surrounds him. It's this same sense of completeness and excitement that he hopes to bring to AU this academic year. Peri wants to students to analyze not only Israeli successes, but also its failures; not just its tribulations, but also the triumphs this 60-year-old nation has attained.

Peri founded a program at Tel Aviv University that made it possible for the first time in Israeli history for students to obtain degrees in journalism. He has also founded the Israel-Syria Peace Society, a non-governmental organization.

At first, it's unclear how he could be equally passionate about teaching at AU. His eyes lit up and he could not resist smiling when he heard the question. He said the student-friendly, international atmosphere, the accomplished faculty and ambitious, knowledge-driven student body are his main reasons for teaching at AU. He also has a number of friends at the university.

"Yoram and I have been friends for a number of years," said Director of the Center for Israel Studies Russell Stone. Stone helped bring Peri to AU, hoping that he would assist the center by causing students to look at Israel in a more well rounded perspective and to bring attention to the center's activities.

The Center for Israel Studies offers a minor in Israel Studies, the first such program in the country. Far more than just offering classes, it brings guest speakers and professors to AU in an effort to fully immerse those interested in Israel and its story, according to the center's Web site.

Peri's excitement about all of his projects seems to be equally intense. According to his curriculum vitae, whether it's in politics - he served as political advisor to the late Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin and served as special emissary to Europe for Israel's Labor Party - in journalism - he was editor-in-chief of Davar, an Israeli daily - or academia - he has been a Fulbright Scholar in AU's School of International Service and worked as visiting professor at Harvard and Dartmouth - Peri has served a full career. Leaning back in his office chair in Battelle-Tompkins, Peri speaks with vigor, and one gets the impression that Yoram Peri doesn't plan to slow down any time soon.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.