Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Ladies to look up to

Ladies, if you've felt powerless in your life recently and need some inspiration, look no further. It's all too often that women are belittled during romance films, left broken-hearted. Instead of playing that part, pick up one of these movies with some of Hollywood's most influential women. Let these strong-minded heroines show you how to handle men and life in general, leaving the rest at your beckoning.

"Gone with the Wind" (1939)

Who hasn't dreamt of being Scarlett O'Hara at least once in their lifetime? A southern belle with a quick wit and brutally honest opinions, Scarlett knows how to play just about any man right into the palm of her hand. She could be labeled a tease; however, she could also be labeled a woman who gets what she wants. Her strength goes beyond this, too, in her struggle to save her home from falling apart and keep her family safe, even though they may not see it. Though she seems to be a selfish brat in the beginning of the film, any woman who will put herself in the role of tyrant and be hated by those she is trying to protect is one you can learn from.

"Pride and Prejudice" (2005)

Jane Austen's women have a certain quality about them that makes every one of them extraordinary. Elizabeth Bennet is no different. Smart, suave and just as whip-smart as Ms. O'Hara, Elizabeth isn't quite sure what she wants, but knows what she doesn't want and makes that very well known. When you're feeling down, "Pride and Prejudice" is a great choice because it's not only a heart-warming romance, but Elizabeth sets a wonderful example of how to stand up for yourself appropriately. She knows who she is, and if anybody tries to belittle that, she puts them in their place. Many people today let themselves be shaped by the opinions of others. Elizabeth's relationships show you can find a soul mate just the way you are.

"High Society" (1956)

While it may have nothing to do with the script, Grace Kelly's class and charm make her a force to be reckoned with. The soundtrack boasts cast member Louis Armstrong, creating a feel-good sound and an enjoyable character next to Kelly's strong personality. Any female who watches it will see the proper yet fun loving Kelly as someone to emulate. Kelly's vivacious character is just like any other young woman; she makes some big mistakes but at the end of the day it all turns out well. The fact that she has Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby on their knees shows that she knows how to play her cards right, even though she's far from perfect.

"Erin Brockovich" (2000)

Julia Roberts is one actress that you rarely hear a bad word about. As Erin Brockovich, Roberts is a working single mother living in a poor part of town. From her position as secretary at a law firm, she takes over where the lawyers fail in helping rally the townspeople against a company poisoning the town's water supply. While "Erin Brockovich" isn't necessarily the love story of "Pride and Prejudice," it shows that if you work hard and aren't afraid to relate to people, you can achieve the unexpected.

"The Dark Knight" (2008)

While the main character of "The Dark Knight" is a man, Rachel Dawes, played by Maggie Gyllenhaal, is perhaps the most valiant character in the film. A lawyer for the District Attorney's office, Dawes is not only brilliant and principled, but feels no fear against even the worst of Gotham City. Dawes' position as Batman's love interest and the District Attorney's girlfriend would be, in just about any other film, the cause of a major romantic struggle. However, Dawes turned down one of the most built men in Hollywood and stood by her choice. While this may be impressive enough, she is also one of the few people that still believes in Gotham City, eventually becoming a martyr for her cause.

You can reach this staff writer at kboghosian@theeagleonline.com.