Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024
BLOOD THIRSTY - HBO's new series, "True Blood," a show about equal rights for vampires in American society, may fill the void left by fan favorites "Sex in the City," "The Sopranos" and "Six Feet Under." The eerie drama, starring actress Anna Paquin, will

Sink into fall television line-up

Labor Day weekend just passed and you know what that means - and we're not talking about white shoes. The fall television season has just begun. Below you'll find some shows starting this week that will whet your entertainment appetite.

"Sons of Anarchy" FOX Wednesday, 10 p.m.

FOX adds a new bad boy drama to its lineup this year with "Sons of Anarchy." A group of outlaw motorcyclists act out against a small town's drug dealers and corruption, despite running a successful illegal arms business. Jax Teller (Charlie Hunnam), the main character, finds himself caught between the bonds of his fellow bikers, walking in his father's footsteps and the guilt of betraying the law. The show is full of adrenaline-pumping gunfights, fistfights, meth labs, explosions and high-speed chases. The series premiere aired Wednesday night.

"Kitchen Nightmares" FOX Thursday, 8 p.m.

In "Kitchen Nightmares," chef Gordon Ramsay enters kitchens in need and insults its caretakers into fixing it up with the same furrowed eyebrows and tight lips that define his position on "Hell's Kitchen," FOX's reality show featuring a competition between chefs. According to FOX, the "sizzling, unscripted show" is based off of a successful U.K. hit. "Kitchen Nightmares" gives viewers the chance to catch that rare glimpse of Ramsay's softer side as he deals with chefs and restaurant workers in need.

"Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" FOX Friday, 8 p.m.

Reality TV continues its downward spiral as FOX brings "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" back for its second season. Hopefully, you'll have something better to do when the show airs Friday nights. Hosted by a man who probably should be your fifth grade math teacher, contestants come on the show and answer questions such as, "Is Mexico City the capital of Mexico?" and decide whether or not to agree with a fifth grader.

If you go all the way, you can win $1 million. If you wish to stop during the game and keep your money, you have to tell the world that you are, in fact, not smarter than a fifth grader. While the show may make you feel smart, the not-so-entertaining host and the game contestants make you agree with the growing worldview that Americans are stupid. But really, maybe those damn fifth graders are just too smart for their own good.

"True Blood" HBO Sunday, 9 p.m.

For those getting into the Halloween season early or who just enjoy vampires, look forward to "True Blood." From the creator of "Six Feet Under," the show takes place during a time of civil rights for vampires. Americans fear the race and refuse to allow them to same rights as American citizens, even though their thirst for blood can now be satisfied with a new synthetic blood. The main character, Sookie Stackhouse, played by Anna Paquin, has lived as an outcast because of her ability to hear others' thoughts. This causes her to sympathize with the plight of the vampires, and may get her into trouble as she gets involved with a sexy vampire visitor she meets while working as a waitress. "True Blood" is like a more developed and complicated "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" on steroids. "Entourage" is in the lineup after "True Blood," starting its fifth season at 10 p.m. on Sunday.

You can reach this staff writer at kboghosian@theeagleonline.com.