Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Sports briefs

Women's soccer defeats Mt. St. Mary's 3-0 Junior forward Kelsey Brasher scored twice to lead the Eagles to a 3-0 victory on the road against Mount St. Mary's. Brasher scored her first goal of the game in the 18th minute of the first half, taking a nice feed from senior forward Tatiana Bertolo and chipping it past Mount St. Mary's goaltender Alicia Miller to give AU the lead. Brasher picked up her second tally of the match in the early minutes of the second half while teammate senior forward Krystn Hodge bookended the period by scoring with seconds remaining in the game to finish off the 3-0 victory. The Eagles improve to 2-2 with the win and will return to action on Friday as they travel to the University of Maryland.

-JUSTIN HALL

Cross country runs strong at Mt. St. Mary's Both the men's and women's cross country teams finished strong at the Mount St. Mary's 5K duel meet over the weekend. The men came away with a record of 4-1 in the six-team race while the women placed 4-2 in a field of seven squads. Sophomore Nick Ryan completed the course in 16:12.45, placing second overall, only one second behind the University of Maryland's Alex Lundy. On the women's side, freshman Octavia Rinehardt took home second place as well in her collegiate debut. She ran a time of 18:57.22, nine seconds behind race winner Amy Watson from the Naval Academy. Both teams will return to action on Sept. 13 as they travel to Annapolis, Md., to compete in the Navy Invitational. -J.H.