Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Style means dressing for your shape, not trends

Tall, short or in between, the foundation of personal style is the task of making sure your clothes fit well and are flattering. Dressing for your figure requires effort, but with a few simple tricks for each body shape, you'll easily grasp this difficult concept.

Straight, "boyish" figures

*Girls with slim features and few curves should strive to add a feminine touch to their silhouette. This means a person should choose pieces with delicate accents like ruffles or texture placed in strategic, eye-catching locations near the hips or bust.

*A low neckline is nothing to be wary of, but keep it tasteful.

*Skinny jeans are your best friend, but pair them with a flow-y tunic or blouse to enhance your shape.

*Longer-legged girls should watch their hemlines when wearing skirts or shorts, but if you're petite this can be a chance to elongate your figure.

Pear-shaped

*Someone who is pear-shaped has a smaller bust and a curvy tummy, hips, and thighs. Most importantly, wear bootleg or trouser cut pants and jeans. These are most flattering because they will balance your midsection and make you appear more like an hourglass.

*A tight-fitting shirt paired with a mid-rise jean or trouser will keep the emphasis on your upper half. Tops can be low-cut, but make sure the hem falls above your widest point - your hips. Add a chunky necklace to draw the eye to your neckline.

*For formal wear, an empire waist dress with an A-line hem that falls right above the knee is modern, classy and very flattering.

*Stay away from pencil skirts and low-rise skinny jeans.

Hourglass

*Hourglass figures have larger busts, hips and thighs, but a smaller midsection.

*Tailored tops and jackets are great for emphasizing your waist. And skinny or straight leg jeans show off your curves while providing different options.

*When it comes to skirts, your choices are endless. For a flirty '50s style, try an A-line skirt with a high waist and a tucked-in top. If you want to show off your curves, opt for a pencil skirt. A wide belt is your best accessory because it accentuates your middle and looks great with a shirtdress.

*Try to avoid low-cut blouses, or, instead, layer them with a lacy tank to minimize your cleavage. An empire waist also helps to hide your figure, so stick to a fitted cut and style.

Curvy all over

*The two biggest mistakes that girls with this body shape make are wearing their clothes too oversized or wearing them too tight. Don't hide inside of a potato sack. Instead pick out clothes that slim your figure and provide a desirable silhouette.

*Mid- to high-rise boot cut and trouser pants in a dark wash will streamline your figure. Pair them with a cap or three-quarter length sleeve blouse for a flattering look. A-line skirts that fall at the knee are best because they will reveal the most flattering part of your leg.

*Stay away from leggings and cropped pants that cut off your calves at your widest point. Also, do not be fooled by current trends. Pencil skirts and skinny pants may be popular, but will not do justice to your figure.

Boys

*Boys don't tend to have the variety of body shapes that girls do. However, there are a few things that should be noted.

*Bigger guys should stay away from wearing their pants too low. Letting your boxers hang out is going to accentuate your midsection and be extremely unflattering.

*Those of you who are smaller or who have shorter legs should also try not to wear your pants too low - this will just make you and your legs look more petite. Instead, wear them tightly around your hips with a belt so they don't slip.

*Shirts should always fit comfortably around your torso and fall at the top of your pants. Don't allow a gap between your pants and the hem of your tee. Conversely, don't wear your shirts too long. They're not dresses.

*Taller guys with athletic or lean figures look best in skinny pants. This is a hard trend to pull off, so be cautious when attempting it.

Though it's difficult, identifying your body shape will not only make shopping more fun but also more efficient. Now you know exactly what to look for to fit your body. The next step in creating a glam look is identifying your personal style.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com