Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Updated Metro display boards to give more info

AU students can expect changes in the D.C. Metro system now and over the next two years.

As of last Monday, Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority put its new display boards in effect. Instead of informing Metro riders how long they have to wait until the next train arrives, it will provide more time-sensitive information, according to Steven Taubenkibel, a WMATA public information officer. He said the new display boards will display delays and types of delays, potential overcrowding, elevator/escalator outages and alternative Metro routes because of delays.

The new display boards will alternate messages every three to five seconds. The goal is to make riding WMATA's Metro as efficient and informative as possible, said Taubenkibel.

Elin Harm, a freshman in the School of International Service, said the new boards could be helpful.

"I don't think that information would help me, but I can see how it would be helpful for other people," she said.

However, not all of WMATA's plans have materialized on schedule. Originally, WMATA was supposed to have made several changes with its SmarTrip cards by next month, according to Taubenkibel.

SmarTrip users would have a wider selection of ways to add funds to their cards. WMATA is developing a Web application that automatically adds money to individuals' cards once their value goes below a certain number, similar to EZ Pass, he said.

Additionally, SmarTrip users will be able to go online and check their card's activity records. Candace Smith, a public information affairs officer for WMATA, said these online SmarTrip expansions would be available in 2010.

Harm said she likes the idea of being able to update SmarTrip accounts online.

"It would be really nice if you could do it online because it is annoying to always have to go and fill it up [at Metro stations]," she said.

A plan to integrate SmarTrip into transportation systems in the greater D.C. area has also been postponed for 2010. More than 250 regional bus and train systems in D.C., Maryland and Virginia - all independent of WMATA - will give up their individual passes in favor of a universal SmarTrip card, according to Smith.

Meghan Finney, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences, said she liked the idea of universal SmarTrip card use in the region.

"It would be useful if people could use the same card for everything around," she said.

The causes of the SmarTrip card upgrade delays are mostly logistical. Since so many of the contracts are dependent upon one another, if one gets delayed, they all do, Smith said. WMATA has received thorough audit reports and made contract changes to ensure that no further delays occur.

AU students can still expect to see some changes to the system this fall. SmarTrip users will soon be able to refill their cards at bus garages, Metro sales offices and Giant supermarkets, she said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.