Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Women's volleyball beat GWU, GMU, Georgetown for title

The AU women's volleyball team beat George Mason University 3-1 on Saturday, en route to winning the third annual D.C. Volleyball Challenge at George Washington University.

In a tightly contested match, AU defeated a pesky George Mason team 25-21, 20-25, 25-23 and 25-15. AU had also defeated Georgetown earlier in the day 3-0, recovering from its season opening 3-2 loss to George Washington the day before.

"We were obviously disappointed with our first game, but rebounded well," said junior defensive specialist Cynammon Burns. "We came back with a vengeance and we just knew we weren't going to lose these two games."

In the first set both teams tied 13-13 midway through, but the Eagles were able to pull away on the strength of senior setter Christina Nash's .316 hitting percentage, 10 assists and three kills.

The second set was just as close, but the Patriots offense was rolling, combining for a .448 hitting percentage and a 25-20 victory.

AU recovered from the second set by jumping out to an early 10-4 lead in the third set. That lead became 20-14, and it appeared the Eagles were going to score an easy win, but GMU rallied back to make the score 23-21 AU. The Eagles were able to capitalize on a GMU error, closing out the set 25-23, but not before a scare.

"We relaxed a little bit in the third set, just like we did in the GW game," Burns said. "And it came back to bite us in the butt. We just can't do that if we want to win consistently."

It was the Eagles' defense that ensured the AU wouldn't falter in the fourth set, solidifying a win with a match-high five total blocks. AU went on a 7-2 roll and finished out the match with a 25-15 set win.

It was the leadership and stellar play of AU's seniors that clinched the early season victory. Seniors Rubena Sukaj and Nash both had double-doubles, Sukaj with 22 kills and 15 digs and Nash with 40 assists and 11 digs.

Sukaj also set the all-time AU record for service aces with her first of seven on the day. She was named tournament MVP.

"Rubena is really passionate, she is relentless, and is always in pursuit, it's what makes her good," Burns said. "And when she knew she set the record she was very humble about it because she knows there is more work to be done."

Barry Goldberg, the team's head coach, said he attributed Sukaj's humbleness to her level of maturity.

"Rubena isn't after the individual goals, she knows what she's good at, is aware of her weaknesses and works everyday to improve," Goldberg said. "She is a woman playing in a women's game"

Sukaj and the Eagles will return to the court this weekend as they travel to College Station, Texas, to participate in the Texas A&M Classic.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.