Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Ads promote GBLT issue

Some AU students and faculty have involved themselves in a recent advertising initiative created to eliminate the use of the phrase "That's so gay."

The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network and the Advertising Council recently joined together to create an advertising campaign that seeks to decrease anti-gay language, according to the campaign's Web site.

Celebrities such as Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes are featured in some of the campaign's TV ads, in which they ask teens if they realize what they mean when they say phrases like "That's so gay," and tell them to stop using the phrase.

The campaign stresses the correlation between the casual use of derogatory language and verbal and physical harassment, according to the Web site.

Jeremy Koss, programming assistant for AU's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender and Ally Resource Center, said that while AU may be an environment where physical harassment based on sexual orientation is limited, the university is an anomaly.

"AU is a different environment since it is in D.C. and is a progressive campus," he said. "Physical harassment won't happen here as much because people 'know better.' That doesn't mean we don't have bigots, but it's more verbal than physical [harassment]."

GLSEN's campaign is important in order to decrease the social reinforcements that oppress the identity development of others, Koss said.

"'That's so gay' brings a negative connotation to what gay is and creates internalized oppression," he said. "Eliminating the phrase from the vernacular is a way of taking the negative from 'gay.'"

A freshman in the School of International Service, who requested to remain anonymous, said the phrase subconsciously promotes homophobia and legitimizes discrimination. To him, the conception of that homophobia in young children is worrisome.

"It starts as early as elementary and middle school, which is scary because they don't know what it means to be gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender," he said. "And when they do understand, they associate it with something negative."

To him, the advertising campaign and its star power are a step in the right direction.

Kate Fisnack, a freshman in SIS, agrees that Hilary Duff is likely to grab the attention of the preteen audience that tends to say "That's so gay." She participated in her high school's Gay-Straight Alliance and believes GLSEN's initiative is important in eliminating the modern discrimination against gay people.

"Society always needs someone to discriminate against and now it's the gays' turn," Fisnack said. "Ethnic discrimination has faded into the background with the civil rights movement, but there hasn't been forceful legislation to accompany the gay rights movement."

Elimination of the use of "That's so gay" is one of the many ways to eliminate homophobia and create a more open, friendly environment at AU, Koss said.

"We should make a conscious effort to eliminate the perpetuation of behavior that allows for stereotypical thoughts," he said.

Open conversations, gender-neutral terms and the personal strength to stop negative things can help eliminate stereotypes and negative connotations, Koss said.

Fisnack said she occasionally confronts people who use derogatory words and explains the real meaning of the term.

"Sometimes they'll apologize since they don't know what it means and are shocked," she said. "Society is still evolving and hopefully we'll get to the point where sexuality will be accepted."

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.