Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Brand name must-haves

Designer lines always in style

In our last column, we discussed investment pieces that may cost a lot of money but are worth the bang for the buck because of expensive details, traditional style and impeccable construction. Given all that information, we think it's important to give you some ideas of designers and brand names where beautiful pieces, investment or not, abound.

Lilly Pulitzer is one of our favorite brands due to its bright colors and fun patterns executed in a classic Kennedy-esque style that is hard to resist. Carnation pink, lemon yellow, aqua, baby blue, lavender, crisp white and lime green are constants in the patterns that make up the tailored dresses, skirts and pants that have interesting details like keyhole necklines and chain-link halter necks. Cable-knit sweaters and accessories like beautiful sandals, clutches snd headbands are also done in solid colors that coordinate with the many flower-based patterns.

The brand is available at Lilly Pulitzer stores or at department stores, especially Nordstrom or Bloomingdale's.

It is important to note that it is easy to overload on Lilly Pulitzer. Much of the collections, especially in the summer, are considered resort wear that may only be appropriate in a warm climate near a beach, so Lilly pieces from all seasons should be paired with other simple items in more muted tones.

Ralph Lauren's Rugby line is also one of our favorite brand names because of their selection of traditional Ralph Lauren pieces like blazers, polos and chinos with a younger, über-preppy vibe. Several of their button down blouses and polos have striped, tie-inspired silk underneath the collars and the men's section has chinos with skulls embroidered on them. Sweaters are made of quality blends and have features like leather braided buttons and shawl collars. There is a great balance of color in the collections, with brighter colored traditional rugby polos, muted corduroys and darker jackets and dresses.

The Rugby store is located at 1065 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., in the heart of Georgetown.

For a trendy and youthful look, you may opt for the designs of Marc by Marc Jacobs. While the vibrant hues and delightfully quirky patterns may be too overbearing when paired together, they are great eye catching focal point for any outfit. Though expensive, this line is priced significantly lower than the lines the designer creates for Louis Vuitton. Bloomingdale's is the closest location to offer this line.

Juicy Couture makes another youthful line. Feminine flair is evident from the fitted tailoring of blouses and pants and the tiny accents such as ruffles and collars. The majority of their ready-to-wear line consists of staple items with fresh elements that update their signature look. The Juicy Couture velour sweat suit may be their most well-known and worn item in their collection, but it does not fully showcase their style.

Men can also find stylish items at Juicy Couture. Tailored slacks and graphic tees characterize the majority of the line. Our favorite item is the Juicy Couture sport coat. This piece comes in different fabrics and style for every occasion. Corduroy and velvet are just two of the styles of this wardrobe staple. With this item, you're sure to look great for an internship or work related event.

And it's not just the clothes that are important when considering more expensive fashions. Jewelry can give your outfit the perfect finishing touch as well. Tiffany & Co. provides pieces priced across the spectrum. While some styles are bit overdone now, such as the Tiffany heart tag charm bracelet and necklace, most of the sterling silver jewelry is moderately priced and has a youthful style. The sterling Tiffany bead earrings and heart crown necklace are two of many items priced at $100. These pieces make perfect gifts too!

While it does cost to invest in high priced fashions it's worth it when you're achieving the style that you want. Remember expensive designs are often beautiful and unique and make a great addition to any wardrobe!

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.