Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Buddy flick picks for autumn nights

From frat parties to baseball

It's another rainy weekend, and you have nothing to do and nowhere to go. Everybody is sitting around, bored and miserable. People keep asking what the plans are for the night. The trouble is, nobody knows.

These are the kinds of nights that everybody hopes to avoid. Instead of staying in and complaining all night, why not have an emergency plan? Here are a few good, group-friendly films to keep on hand with popcorn and candy. This way, you can make sure that even on the worst nights, there's at least laughter from some of the movies that never get old.

"ZOOLANDER"

If you tried describing this movie to someone, you'd probably sound like you were describing the most nonsensical film ever created. The fashion industry controls the world through male models and their stupidity? Good one. But if you mentioned the all-star cast, maybe you'd get a better reaction. Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson should definitely be on top of any party's invite list, and this movie is evidence of why. The two of them are absolutely ridiculous together. "Zoolander" will leave your crew with a bunch of ridiculous pictures on Facebook, endless quips about being good-looking and abs sore from laughing - all of which sound like a successful night.

"OLD SCHOOL"

"Old School's" simple plot makes it easy to jump in and out of, but every second you catch of the movie is hilarious. And there is a reason why Will Ferrell appears in three movies on this list: he's entertaining and just plain funny. You may disagree, but you're definitely in the minority if you do. "Old School" is perfect for the college crowd: it has characters that remind you of your weirdest friends and consists of continuous partying. After all, the moral of movie was that even if you party your life into oblivion, you'd still turn out okay in the end, right?

"DAZED AND CONFUSED"

Even though "Dazed and Confused" focuses around high school students, it's definitely a bit more applicable to the college age. The sight of Matthew McConaughey wearing tight jeans and a creepy mustache is entertainment enough. But this movie is definitely a good watch when you're dying for something to do. It makes you glad to be in college when you watch a bunch of '70s high school seniors party relentlessly while the incoming freshman fearfully avoid them at all costs. It's a movie every one of your friends can relate to in some way, and is full of laughing points. It may even inspire a wonderful idea for the rest of the evening.

"SANDLOT"

It may be geared for kids, but this movie is definitely a classic. How can you not love watching Squints pull a fast one on Wendy Peppercorn? It's hard to put your finger on exactly what makes this movie so great even when you've been watching it for years, but something is there. Maybe as we sit around with our friends watching the guys explain what a s'more is to Smalls, we're young again. Except now, instead of s'mores, you're the group idiot if you don't know what an Irish Car Bomb is. Even if that's not the case, the Sandlot is still a great choice for those nights when you just want to forget you've already graduated fifth grade.

"WEDDING CRASHERS"

Another power duo, Vince Vaughn and Owen Wilson, are priceless. Somehow, someone thought of the idea for "Wedding Crashers" and college students around the nation fell in love with comedies all over again. Or, at least, there was a re-birth of comedy after the gap following the "Dodgeball" and "Anchorman" months - films that, not surprisingly, include similar casts. "Wedding Crashers" has an invigoratingly fresh plot, and the characters could not be funnier. It pleases fans of all genres: it's a comedy with a love story mixed in the background. If you can watch this movie without laughing, you probably have no soul.

You can reach this staff writer at kboghosian@theeagleonline.com.