Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Campus Brief

Provost office undergoes changes

Provost Scott A. Bass is reorganizing the way in which the provost's office works, he announced in an e-mail to the AU community Oct. 14.

One of the main complaints he has received from faculty is that they are "overly centralized," and are too focused on decision-making, something that has hindered their "innovation and entrepreneurship," according to the e-mail.

"We have heard this message and have been meeting regularly with the deans and others to explore ways to adjust responsibilities and authority throughout the academy - with more authority and responsibility placed within the schools and colleges," Bass said in the e-mail.

He said he believes that changes within his department will help encourage growth in five different elements that the university has identified as being critical to development.

"We have now begun a process to reorganize the Office of the Provost to better achieve these functional objectives," Bass said in the e-mail. "Currently, 17 units report directly to the Provost, several of which will be reassigned to fit within a revised structure that is designed to serve the above functions better."

Dean of Academic Affairs Haig Mardirosian will now take on the additional role of senior vice provost, and Assistant Provost for Administration Vi Ettle will have more responsibilities.

-ANNA TUMAN