Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

Campus calendar

Thursday, Oct. 16 Human Rights Film Series: "Banished" 5:30 p.m. WHERE: Wechsler Theatre INFO: The ninth annual Human Rights Film Series screens films that showcase how video can make a difference in human rights. There will be a discussion with Director Marco Williams after the screening. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, visit www.centerforsocialmedia.org/events/.

Friday, Oct. 17 Andrew Ritchie: "Applying Human Rights in the U.S." Noon-1:30 p.m. WHERE: MGC 200 INFO: This talk, which is part of Human Rights Week, will address the United States' compliance with the United Nations' treaties, including the Convention Against Torture and the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Lunch will be available. CONTACT: For more information, visit www.american.edu/sis/calendar.

Sunday, Oct. 19 Women's Field Hockey vs. Towson 1 p.m. WHERE: Jacobs Field INFO: Cheer on the women's field hockey team as it takes on Towson University at home. CONTACT: For more information, visit aueagles.cstv.com.

Monday, Oct. 20 Kennedy Political Union: Prof. Karimi-Hakkak 8-9 p.m. WHERE: MGC 200 INFO: KPU and the Persian Club will present Karimi-Hakkak, the founder of the Center for Persian Studies at the University of Maryland, College Park. Karimi will discuss his generation's impressions of Iranian culture as opposed to his children's generation. Refreshments will be available. CONTACT: For more information, visit kpu.ausg.org.

Tuesday, Oct. 21 CEF Film Series: "The PBS System is Not the Matrix" 7 p.m. WHERE: Wechsler Theatre INFO: As a part of its fourth annual fall film series, the Center for Environmental Filmmaking will present this documentary, which teaches how to navigate the public television system, including where the money comes from and what kind of programming succeeds. Admission is free. CONTACT: For more information, call Chris Palmer at 202-885-3408.

Wednesday, Oct. 22 Human Rights Film Series: "Ballad of Esequiel Hernandez" 6-7:30 p.m. WHERE: Washington College of Law INFO: The Center for Social Media and the Washington College of Law present "Ballad of Esequiel Hernandez" as part of its ninth annual Human Rights film series. CONTACT: For more information, visit www.centerforsocialmedia.org/events/2008_human_rights.