Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024

College Republicans top College Dems in Party Feud debate

The College Republicans came out on top of the College Democrats at the Kennedy Political Union's own version of "Family Feud," known as Party Feud, Wednesday in the Tavern.

The game, a political spin on the game show, ended in an overwhelming victory for the College Republicans, 380-88.

Greg Handelsman, a sophomore in the School of Communication, said he was impressed with the organization of the event, which included buzzers and a projected question board.

Each "family" had five people on their team. Both teams included their respective presidents and fellow members.

100 AU students were polled each association question, of which a word or phrase was given and the contestant at the buzzer would give what they thought was the most popular word associated with the subject, according to KPU Director Bill DeBaun, who hosted the event. The questions ranged topics from presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama to the most common item people take with them during a fire, as well as the most common items under people's beds.

Each team was to guess the top four responses, and in keeping with the "Family Feud" format, if a team received three Xs, the opposing team had the opportunity to steal the question.

DeBaun continued to make remarks at the expense of the members of both teams throughout the night.

"You guys need to get better at stealing," DeBaun told the College Democrats' team.

Audience participation was also a part of the game. Every time a team received an X, the Tavern would erupt into a simulated buzzer.

Dan Wechsler, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business, said he was impressed with the top four answers to the political questions.

"I think it was an accurate portrayal of the consensus of [AU] students," he said.

Devon Swift, a freshman in the Washington Semester program, said she enjoyed the event.

"I liked the range of questions surveyed, it allowed them to appeal to a larger audience," she said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.