Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Field hockey brief

Field hockey sweeps games over weekend, moves up to No. 18 ranking

The AU field hockey team took home two victories over the weekend, defeating Bucknell University 4-0 Saturday and Towson University 4-1 Sunday. The wins helped the Eagles improve to 8-6 overall and 3-0 in the Patriot League.

Senior attacker Irene Schickhardt was instrumental in the victory over the Bison, tallying her ninth and 10th goals of the season to pace the Eagles to a 4-0 victory. Junior defender Anne-Meike DeWiljes and sophomore forward Christine Fingerhuth also added to the Eagles offense while junior goalkeeper Alyssa Poorman made saves to record the shutout.

Schickhardt was also key to the win over the Tigers, scoring two more goals and one assist for the second straight game. Fingerhuth also scored her second goal of the weekend while senior midfielder Megan Henry tallied the fourth goal for AU.

The Eagles will put their undefeated league on the line when they take on fellow undefeated Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 25. The winner of the game will take sole possession of first place in the PL.

-JUSTIN HALL