Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Free food, wonder abound on campus

"How do you like America so far?"

Thirty days after my arrival in the United States, my answer would definitely be a lot. The first month of my travel abroad is already complete. There are a lot of things to tell and so many discoveries to describe: new people and cultures; a new city to live in; a new way of life and a new language to get used to. Not so easy to manage! Everyone can tell me my French accent is cute, but I acknowledge still feeling a little uncomfortable about it.

So, how to begin? Let's start with the longed-for arrival on Aug. 16 at Dulles International Airport. Unusually hot weather for a northern French girl. Welcome to Washington, D.C.! This is the starting point of a whole new experience for me; a French temporary-expatriate coming from the almost unknown - but still amazing - city of Lille. I've never left my home before, nor visited any place outside of Europe, but here I am, taking my first steps in America, full of excitement, fear and an immense urge for discoveries. Enjoying my first Super Shuttle travel to Washington, it was time for us, new international students, to discover AU.

And there is no way to be disappointed. The campus life and environment is simply amazing. French students will always be astonished by the size of American campuses, their beautiful buildings, open spaces, impressive fitness center, the AU shuttle, Mary Graydon Center. But AU welcomes its students with a huge variety of events and activities, and, well, free food all the time. Meeting American students who tell you your French accent is cute, enjoying pasta parties in the common lounge, learning Chinese with your roommate ... Campus life is definitely a great experience. The best thing here is that, compared to France, a student community exists for real. French students barely live altogether within the university. That's what makes campus life so attractive. Who has never wanted to discover American sororities, football games, student associations or dorm parties?

The joys of free food aside, the first remarkable thing that comes to mind about this month is how the United States seems to be an eclectic society, and here at AU more than anywhere else. Ninety-two other Abroad at AU students to meet, 92 different cultures and personalities to discover, which seems like one of the best experiences you could ever have in the era of globalization. I was delighted to see how international students are welcomed here. To be frank, it is rare to meet so many foreign people in only two days!

Indeed, it was a first week of human and cultural discoveries. After the orientation sessions, we participated in the Discover D.C. program. It began with a scavenger hunt in Adams Morgan, then engaging in a desperate search for pandas at the National Zoo, taking some colorful group pictures, counting how many Starbucks we can find in one block. At the end of the day my group won the first prize, a delicious meal in the Lebanese Taverna. D.C. definitely sounds good!

But what can you say about D.C. itself? Getting the time to discover the city, how can you not marvel at its many attractions? The White House, Adams Morgan, the Mall, Capitol Hill, Jefferson Memorial, Dupont Circle. What better place to live in when you are a student coming from a political science school with a presidential campaign in full swing? Getting the chance to live the reality of American politics is an incredible opportunity. And even more for an aspiring journalist like me, I have heard the largest number of journalists in the world are concentrated in D.C.

Finally, after 30 days, my main thought would be that it's definitely been worth the travel. The campus life, D.C. discoveries, the presidential elections; D.C. is full of surprises. Let's hope to enjoy an American year.

You can reach this columnist at thescene@theeagleonline.com.