Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Makowski shines in freshman campaign

After the final whistle sounded on AU's 4-1 victory over Georgetown University Tuesday, goalkeeper Matt Makowski pumped his fist in celebration, punctuating what was an afternoon of brilliance. Makowski had just finished playing a fast and chippy game in which he made nine saves and saw one shot hit the crossbar. He handled himself like a grizzled veteran, communicating with teammates and setting up the defense. His performance would be impressive by any measure. Did I mention that he is only a freshman?

Makowski has burst onto the Patriot League scene as one of the best young keepers in the conference. He earned himself recognition as the BRINE/Patriot League Rookie of the Week earlier this month after posting his third shutout of year in a 2-0 win over league foe Navy. Makowski has not let his early success get to him as he sees himself as simply trying to fit in on his new team.

"It was tough coming in," Makowski said. "The guys have been great, though."

The 5-5-1 Eagles could use a good goalkeeper as their out-of-league schedule will be decidedly tougher this season. The Hoyas ranked as high as No. 25 in some polls coming into this game, however, besides a fluke broken play in which Georgetown's Scott Larrabee had a one on one against the keeper, Makowski turned away everything the Hoyas shot at him.

After the Hoyas lone goal was scored, Makowski saw an improvement in the team's dealings with adversity.

"We responded better than we have responded all season," he said. "After they scored we really stepped our game up."

One penalty kick, one red card, numerous yellow cards, and many close calls later, this hungry Eagle team ran off the field with a decisive victory.

"I don't know what to tell you," Makowski said of the breakaway goal. "It wasn't anybody's fault, but we collectively put our heads down and just got it done."

Nick Stames, the team's goalkeeper coach, said Makowski won the starting job outright after shining in training camp.

"Coming in, he had to learn the ropes," he said. "He has emerged as the top goalkeeper."

Makowski's emergence in Stames' eyes can be traced back to his greatest attribute, his athleticism.

"He is a strong kid, he can control his box and he is very athletic," Stames said. "Having athleticism is something you can't coach."

When asked about Makowski's weakness, Stames pointed to the fact that Makowski is sometimes reluctant to come off of his line. Stames said he sees this as a confidence problem and said that the only way to overcome this is to have more confidence on the field. After Tuesday's performance and last week's awards, confidence shouldn't be a problem for the 6-3 talent from Pennsylvania.

The highest praise of the afternoon came from Head Coach Todd West.

"I don't see him as a freshman," he said. "I just see him as a good goalkeeper."

A good goalkeeper may just be what this team needs to take their season to the next level.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.