Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Not so 'Keane' on new album

Perfect Symmetry: B-

Keane "Perfect Symmetry" (Interscope) SOUNDS LIKE: U2 turned Mika

As soon as you hear the distinct vocals on the first track of "Perfect Symmetry," you realize the record is undeniably Keane. Listening to the British pop band's new album intermixed with their debut album, "Hopes and Fears," however, brings to light just how much the band has changed for the worse since they hit the mainstream in 2004 with their hit song "Somewhere Only We Know."

Even their second album, "Under the Iron Sea," centered on lead singer Tom Chaplin's urgency-stricken smooth vocals, on top of a simple background of drums and piano - similar to the band's debut tracks. The same features made these albums a much more relaxing listen than the overly energetic album the band has created with "Perfect Symmetry."

Keane has somehow managed to apply Chaplin's strong vocals to a busier accompaniment, giving him room to let his sound vary from the power chords the band relied on previously. But it was his heavy vocals that made "Hopes and Fears" such a great album, and without them, Keane loses its signature sound on their new album.

This album is an obvious salute to the Big Pop days of the '80s. The first half of the album sounds much like an overshot attempt to turn back the clock 20 years. The problem is the '80s have already been done, and Keane's original style was something refreshing. Songs on the second half of the album, such as "You Don't See Me" and "Pretend That You're Alone," are somewhat reminiscent of Keane's past, but its funky, over-synthesized background masks all the talent of the band's members.

"Perfect Symmetry" is certainly a new sound for the band. While the album itself has many noteworthy pluses, it is overshadowed by the standard Keane set for itself on "Hopes and Fears" and reinforced on "Under the Iron Sea." Those aching for Keane's melting vocals and foot-tapping piano riffs will be greatly frustrated with their inability to hear beyond the pop beat. Fans of imitation Big Pop, disco beats or the European stereotype will thoroughly enjoy this album.

-KRISTEN BOGHOSIAN