Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Quality investments worth hefty price tag

Fashion may not be what you choose to spend the majority of your money on with mounting textbook and lab fees, but it's important to remember that while it may seem efficient to amass large quantities of clothing at bargain prices, quality is important and necessary in a wardrobe.

Investment pieces are items that, while expensive, are worth the bang for their buck because they are made of quality materials, have a classic style and interesting details. If you save your money and purchase one of the following examples, you will have a beautiful basic to enhance the foundation of your fall and winter wardrobes.

Jackets or Coats

We all need jackets or coats for the upcoming seasons and an expensive one is almost always better for a few reasons.

First, a cheaper jacket will not be made of materials like wool or down, so it will definitely not keep you warm. It will also probably not be lined, which is something that you should definitely look for - it's the mark of a well-made jacket with good construction. Additionally, if you are shorter or taller, a bargain-priced jacket will most likely not fit your proportions properly, and an economical store doesn't always have petite or tall size options.

Instead, you should purchase a jacket that costs between $100 and $500 in a classic style, like a pea coat. We think a traditional color like black, blue or gray is flattering, but patterns and brighter colors are also great. Just make sure the color isn't too light, as it will get dirty easily. It's also important that you pick a shade that compliments your skin tone. Nice details are almost always going to be present on an expensive coat, but a few key ones are beautiful buttons, a good lining and maybe a belt or tie.

The Leather Bag

A beautiful leather bag is not as necessary as the jacket, but it feels just as fulfilling. Your options here range from the exorbitantly priced Birkin bag (which starts at $8,000) to moderately priced purses from Fossil or Coach (which usually cost between $100 and $400).

The keys to the leather bag are print and style. If you want a bag from the real upper-echelons of design, avoid the seasonal designs fashion houses put out. A crazy-colored, denim patterned or cherry-emblazoned bag will last you exactly one season. Most brands like Louis Vuitton or Burberry put their traditional LV pattern or red and brown plaid on their designs without updating color. Purchase one of these in a classic style, but one you may not see all the time. For example, you see Louis Vuitton bowling-style bags all the time, but one rarely spots another design with a large gold clasp on someone's arm.

The same rules apply for Coach bags: the classic Coach leather in a contemporary yet classic style is the best option for those who want to spend under $500.

Boots

Boots are a practical addition to any wardrobe. A well-made pair of leather boots only gets better with age and, because they are only worn for a few months of every year, they will last. It may be easy to spend under $100 on a pair of boots, but more than likely they will not be well-made. Boots upwards of that price are almost always carefully crafted for the weather. Steve Madden's online store and the one located in Georgetown offer a range of boots ranging between $150 and $350 that are classically styled and sure to withstand the next few years.

While one might view these items as a splurge, they are sure to last. Here are a few rules when reviewing what is worth its price.

1) Material is an extremely important factor as it affects the shelf life of your purchase. Ask yourself: How well made is the garment? Will this material last?

2) The fit should also be a major factor when considering an item. While it must be tailored to your personal style, remember that expensive pieces are worth getting tailored.

3) Finally, the "Must Have" factor is the most important. If you have to have something, buy it! The clothing and accessories you love are always worth the price because they'll get the most wear.

Follow these few rules and your own tastes and you're sure to find items worthy of investment. Don't limit yourself to bargain shopping or you may miss out on a few wonderful pieces to enhance your attire.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.