Sports briefs

Men's soccer brief Men's soccer opens PL play with 1-1 tie against Lafayette

Senior Karsten Smith's 78th minute goal provided the only offense the AU men's soccer team would need to tie Lafayette College in the Patriot League's season opener.

With neither team recording a shot on goal in the first half, it would be the Leopards who got on the scoreboard first, as Wayne Maminski took a pass from Stephen Macurdy and put it past AU goaltender Matt Makowski for a 1-0 lead.

"Tonight we played as a team and gave ourselves a chance to win," AU head coach Todd West told AUeagles.com. "We will get everyone back in training this week and get back to work for our match against Navy." The Eagles host the U.S. Naval Academy Midshipmen at 1 p.m. Saturday on Reeves Field.

-JUSTIN HALL

Women's XC brief Women's cross country competes at George Mason Invitational

The AU women's cross country team finished in 15th place at the George Mason Invitational this weekend, their first competition in three weeks.

The team finished the course with a combined time of 2 hours 10 minutes and 26 seconds. Junior Rachel Forcino was the top finisher, placing 37th in a field of 141 runners with a time of 23 minutes 34 seconds.

Both the men and women will be in action in two weeks on Oct. 18, as the squads head to the University of Delaware Invitational or the Leopard Invitational on the campus of Lafayette College, depending on how the team is split between the two events.

-J.H.

Swimming brief Swimming opens season with Potomac Relay Meet

The AU men's and women's swimming and diving teams opened their season Friday, hosting the Potomac Relay Meet at the Reeves Aquatic Center. The women finished in third place, while the men placed in fourth.

On the women's side, four relay teams finished in second in their respective races. The 200-yard medley team, composed of sophomores Jess Ballance, Dory Issacs, Mary-Margaret Lopez and freshman Elinor Shetter had a final time of 1:52.63, coming in just behind George Washington University. Ballance, Shetter and Lopez also combined in the 300-yard butterfly relay with a time of 3:02.89.

Freshmen Alexandra Wessel and Anna Gooding teamed up in the 1,000-yard freestyle relay with a time of 10:40.76 and freshman Leah Breen met up with Wessel, Shetter and Issacs in the 200-yard freestyle.

For the men, the best result of the day belonged to the 200-yard freestyle team of juniors Matt Pelletier and Eric Sveum, sophomore Brian Galm and freshman Travis Rianda, who took home second place with a time of 1:29.12.

The two teams will be back in the water Oct. 17, when they face GW and Catholic University in a three-team meet.

-J.H.