Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Sweat it out: hot fashion for cold weather comfort

Coordinate color, style in your PJs

As winter approaches, the cold weather and rain may be driving many students on campus to seek refuge inside. This means most students are opting for comfort over style. But it doesn't have to be this way - you can dress down in the dorms and still put together a decent outfit.

PAJAMAS

After a long day, throwing on a comfortable pair of PJs can be a relaxing way to de-stress. It becomes routine in the colder months to don these items earlier in the night, which means more people are going to see you wearing them. Therefore, it's nice to make your PJs suitable for hanging out outside of your room.

The easiest way to look presentable is to wear coordinating pajamas. This doesn't mean buying a set necessarily, but wearing tops and bottoms with similar or matching colors. An especially easy trick is to buy basic white undershirts because they will go with nearly every pant or short that you already own and can be bought at any department store or superstore like Target.

Comfortable PJ pants and shorts can be purchased at a wide variety of stores in a diverse number of fabrics and patterns. Flannel, cotton and fleece are the best options because they will keep you warm. Some of our favorite places to get PJ pants are Victoria's Secret's Pink collection, J.Crew and Aerie by American Eagle.

For a more tailored touch, throw on a complimentary cardigan or sweater and leave the oversized hoodie for sleeping.

SLIPPERS

Slippers are comfortable and obviously functional. You should definitely own a pair not just to keep your feet warm, but so you can travel to the bathroom without bare feet.

There are several different styles of slippers. The type you choose is a matter of personal preference. One of our favorites is the moccasin slipper. They are exactly what they sound like - a moccasin shape made of suede with a furry interior that is sure to keep your toes temperate. They can come in several different colors, and L.L. Bean makes a pair that will last you a while.

The classic slip on is always useful and comes in many different colors and patterns. This style is not as long lasting, because after several months, you usually wear down the sole and the cushioning flattens. Don't spend a lot of money on this style.

Your traditional Ugg boots or Ugg crocheted boots are also appropriate.

Along the same lines, a warm pair of socks in a quirky pattern or color are also a way to accessorize your PJs or sweats and still be fashionable. You can get these at J.Crew - there's even a mixed cashmere pair for less than $20.

SWEATS

Sweatsuits are warm and have the potential to make a relatively fashionable outfit. While we don't condone wearing sweats everyday, we realize that 8:30 a.m. classes and cold weather make them a necessity.

Wearing an entire sweatsuit of one solid color can be overwhelming unless it's a neutral shade like black, grey, brown, etc. Instead, try to keep either the sweatshirt or the pants two-toned so you can match just one of the colors. For example, if the logo, stitching or words on your brown pants are pink, a pink long-sleeve tee is completely suitable.

The length of your sweatpants and its relation to your footwear is important. If your pants have elastic in the bottom seam, that means they are meant to be worn with boots. And by boots, we mean Uggs or rain boots. It is entirely not OK to wear sweats with any type of leather or suede boot. These short sweatpants worn with regular sneakers or flats also become inefficient. The bottom of your legs and feet just end up cold. Moccasins, however, look excellent with regular length sweatpants, as do your Uggs.

To make your look appropriate for class, add an oversized cardigan and cute, less casual accessories like jewelry or a patterned headband.

These casual types of dress can prove how stylish you really are and defeat the myth that comfort and style can't be combined. While we don't suggest that you make this your winter uniform, wearing fashionable casual wear every once in a while is a great way to add variety and comfort to your fall and winter wardrobe.

You can reach these columnists at thescene@theeagleonline.com.